1997 Delaforce Quinta Da Corte Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

1997 Delaforce Quinta Da Corte Vintage Port

Post by Andy Velebil »

Since I've never seen a TN on this one, except for the 95 point review that Wine Spectator gave it, so I though this would be a fitting start to the week...not to mention its been on death row for long enough. When I finish it, I'll copy it over to the TN section.

Upon opening:
A really high grade cork that was tough to get out. Very very dark when I decanted it and the smell filled the room as soon as the cork came out. Beautiful blackberries, cassis, and black plums bring out a very appealing nose. The first sensation I get is its very silky on the palate with some intensely drying tannins. Then the fruit starts to fill the palate...dark berries, tobacco, lavender and a touch of alcohol on the back palate as the fruit slides easily down. This is followed by an attack of acidity then a rather medium/long finish. Pretty impressive on this initial sip right after opening, but I reserve judgement until the bottle is gone and I've seen how she's done over the long haul.
Last edited by Andy Velebil on Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

+ 6 hours:
Nose has a much more prominent plum now. The palate has leaned out a little and the acidity is now in full swing. There are still plenty of tannins (make that tons of tannins) with the dark fruit still holding its own. Although not very complex, which is my only gripe. The finish has lengthened a bit, making it a tasty treat.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Thank you Andy, seems like a young looky 97 and it is a very good sign. I will probably buy 1-2 in a near future, it is available in Québec :winebath:
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

+11 hours:
Still holding about the same as before. Although the tannins have started to mellow a bit. Overall this is a very good SQVP. My only gripe and the one major thing keeping this from a better score, is that is lacking a bit of complexity. This is still young and has plenty of life left in it, so if you own some there is no hurry. The remaining bottles I have will stay right where they are for another 5 years before I come back to one.
91 points

A couple of glasses remain and will go quite nicely with dinner 8--)

Fred,
Worth the buy :)
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

Thanks for the TN! After reading your tasting note I think that I may pick up a bottle or two to see where it goes in a few years.

Marc
Jay Powers
Location: Pacifica, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Jay Powers »

This seems like the only fault is that it is still young and has not yet developed the complexity you would expect from an older port. Is that your feeling? Or is the lack of complexity something more than that?

Jay
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Marc and Jay,

Its a solid bottle, but the complexity was not quite there to push it to a "95 point" Port. It also is lacking a bit of grip too, and something I forgot to mention in my orginal TN. I can see how someone would score this quite high if they just popped the bottle open and poured. There is a ton of tannins and a ton of acidity (more than most ports I've had) that made it seem bigger that what it was. But as it developed over time in the decanter, it became obvious that the body was not quite there to make this a great VP. So while it was a very enjoyable bottle and I'm glad I got a bunch at a great price, its not a blockbuster and IMHO never will be.

It is still on the young side and has a number of years before it peaks, so there is no hurry to open one. I will probably wait another 5 years before I open another bottle. But I don't feel it will ever reach the score Wine Spectator gave it. I will buy more if I can get it for a good price ($30-40) again.
Mark DaSilva
Location: Mission Viejo, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Mark DaSilva »

Strangely, my distributor who handles these Corte's ran out of the 1991 and 1995. Was everyone on to a good thing???
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Mark,

I can't say as I've never had the '91 and '95 Corte. However, if this '97 was a decent representative sample of the earlier years, I'd love to get my hands on those older bottlings and give them a try...so long as the price was right. I think I paid around $30 a bottle for the '97 and that was a good deal for this one. In due time I'm sure you're distributor will get more the next time Delaforce realeases another batch of '97s from their inventory.