wine course

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Erik Wiechers

wine course

Post by Erik Wiechers »

Thinking about doing a wine course myself, i was wondering how many of you actually did participate ever in a wine course.
And more important, was it helpfull to you in developing taste, smell and so on ?

Erik
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I haven't actually taken a formal course, but since my brother and good friend work at wineries I have had the opportunity of them and their co-workers to teach me things along the way....not to mention the experience of the Harvest Trip last year, which was an incredible learning experience for my Port palate.

So, yes, I would say if the course is done right it should be worth taking.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Erik Wiechers

Post by Erik Wiechers »

I forgot to say it is the W.S.E.T. Intermediate Course

Anyone has experience with it ?
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Erik

I've not taken the WSET course, but it has a good reputation for people who are serious about wine and for those who work in the industry.

I have taken a wine course in the past, but took it through my local adult eduction college. There were no formal exams, just a group of people who were interested in the subject and a teacher who was enthusiastic about wine. That course was so much fun that I did it again the following year!

Alex
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I have taken a number of wine courses, including two of them in college (while studying hotel/restaurant management after obtaining my culinary degree). Since then I have taken an extensive course and passed my Sommelier's exam (1995-6).

I have taken many wine seminars in the past decade and have qualified and taken part in several professional wine judging competitions as well, since 1999.

Taking wine classes is fun. Learning how to be a better taster is a great way to improve your own enjoyment of wine. I teach lots of classes on Port and Madeira throughout North America and always enjoy experiencing when I see one of the guests gain a better understanding not only from the information provided, but in making the connection between the info and their palate.

No matter how much you think you know about wine, the more you know ... the more you realize how little you really do.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

Erik,

I've heard that the WSET course is quite good. A local wine shop was offering the WSET course next month (one of the few locations in the U.S. where it is taught) and I was thinking of taking it but I'm going to be out of town during the period of time frame that it is being offered.

Marc