Need Tawny Experts

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Gabriella Opaz

Need Tawny Experts

Post by Gabriella Opaz »

I need some of your experience and advice, if you don't mind humoring me. I am writing an article for our website, Catavino, on Tawny port. My goal is to give a general framework as to what it is and how it can be served, sort of a "dummy's guide to Tawny port". However, I find that I've hit a snag. Through my research, I keep hearing that Tawny can basically be broken down into two exceptionally different styles of port. The "cheap" version which has been aged for about the same time as a ruby and elaborated from grapes grown in the Baixo Corgo, making it a rather poor choice for a Tawny. The other has been aged in wood for longer than ruby and made from higher quality grapes from the Douro Superior and the Cima Corgo. If I understand this correctly, I should be suggesting that our readers head towards the latter of the two. However, from my understanding, one cannot tell the difference between the two. Can someone please guide me, as I'm feeling rather confused.
Gabriella Opaz
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Salut Gabriella ,
To simplify things , your readers ( at least those just starting out ) needn't worry about a certain location .
Suffice to know that Tawny's with mention of age ( 10,20,30 or 40 yrs of age ) are of higher quality and complexity than simple Tawny's .
With 20 yr old Tawny's achieving the perfect balance .
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Gabriella Opaz

Post by Gabriella Opaz »

Thank you Luc. Go with an "aged" tawny of at least 20 plus years. Easy to suggest considering that I am thoroughly enjoying a glass of Sandeman's 20 year old Tawny as we speak. However, what is to be said of non-aged Tawnys? Are there any good labels I should seek out and try? What about 10 year old Tawnys?
Gabriella Opaz
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Cheap tawny can be blend all across the Douro.

It is true that Baixo Corgo does not lead to quality as much as Cima Corgo or Douro Superior. Douro Superior does not mean greater quality than Cima Corgo, for all region it comes down to the producer.

The different red tawny are : Tawny, Tawny Reserve, 10,20,30 and 40yr old.

Again the very best share spaces on shelves with the very poor just like in other region. So quality is more related to producer's blend than the region they producer from.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Lars F

Post by Lars F »

I would definitely give the 10 year old tawnies a try. Kopke and Burmester make excellent tawnies at a very reasonable price and I don't always think that you get that much more value for a 20yo than from a 10yo.

-Lars
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

One interesting thing could be to compare tawny style. There is one style that is aiming freshness, elegance, complexity towards acidity with spices and citrus flavours like orange peel and candied orange. The other style is trying to achieve that with the sweetness with flavours of caramel and toffey as dominant.

Ramos Pinto, Niepoort, Noval, Fonseca belong to the first

Smith Woodhouse, Cockburn's, Calem, belong to the second

Of course there is a grey zone were some can be put in between or in a more fruity category like Tayor's.

For the non-aged tawnies, I like Niepoort, Sandeman, Fonseca but I haven't tried many.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Nikolaj Winther

Post by Nikolaj Winther »

Don't forget about the Colheita.
What I lack in size I make up for in obnoxiousness.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Gabriella,

I just don't understand why anybody would drink the most basic Tawny Ports. I have tasted them while in Portugal and have yet to ever say, ''wow'' nor consider making the score.

Now this may sound elitist, but au contraire. I realize that this is a popular wine type in markets like France that chill it down and serve it before the meal. Ok, not my style for an aperitiv and yes, I've tried it that way too, more than once.

But there is no raisin d'etre :roll: in any of these "basic" Tawnies. So what does the consumer do instead, knowing they'd have to pay quite a bit more in order to obtain the 10 or 20 year olds? Very simple, cough it up!

There are some mighty fine producers of 10 and 20 year old Tawnies, all you have to do is look through the BASIC FORUM's previous pages to find the one's FTLOPers love.

Regards to Ryan!

Roy
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com