LBV Ports

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

David C.
Location: Marlboro, New Jersey, United States of America - USA

LBV Ports

Post by David C. »

I follow Roy's guide for decanting my VP's. What do forum participants do with their LBV's?
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Salut , furch .
If your LBV's are filtered , then you don't need to follow Roy's way to the letter ( much less decanting time )
However , If your LBV's are unfiltered ,definitely decant .
Other Portonians can probably add . . .
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Furch,

Welcome to FTLOP, its great to have you here.

Like Luc, I also decant my Unfiltered LBV's just like a regular VP. Of course, adjusting the decant time to suit the particular bottle I am opening.

As for Filtered LBV's, I like to give them 2-3 hours of air prior to drinking. Usually this means just opening the bottle and leaving it open for a few hours. I almost never pour a filtered LBV into a decanter to give it air. This doesn't always hold true, as sometimes these type of LBV's are a last minute decision to open, so no air time is given.

BTW, I've also sent you an email regarding our Real names and location policy.

Again, welcome and we hope to read more from you soon.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

ditto Luc and Andy.

It also would depend on how aged an unfiltered LBV was. The older, the less decant time, the newer, sometimes they need a bit longer to start showing nicely.

And Welcome to the Forum! 8--)

Todd
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I always, always, always decant my port. Whether it is ruby port, filtered LBV, unfiltered LBV, crusted or vintage port, it always goes into a decanter for a few hours before being consumed.

I did an experiment once with a couple of bottles of Fonseca Bin 27. One bottle was opened and left in the bottle, one was opened and decanted. Both bottles were then consumed side-by-side over about 4 days. I consistently preferred the sample from the decanter.

My preference could be accounted for by bottle variation and I did not do the tasting blind so the results are not persuasive by any means, but it was enough to persuade me to always decant my port.

(I should also say that I very rarely drink colheitas so can't comment on whether these should be decanted.)

Alex