What is that stemware?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

David Sweet

What is that stemware?

Post by David Sweet »

Sorry folks--I know Port glassware has been discussed before, but can someone tell me who manufactures those terrific looking glasses in the lead story on 2005 vintage forecast on the homepage? And where to get them?

Many thanks!
David
Kris Henderson
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Kris Henderson »

It's difficult for me to tell due to the angle of the camera but it looks like the glasses are either the IVDP Port glass or the Riedel Vinum Port glass.

Both glasses are similar in size and shape and perform equally well in my opinion.

The IVDP glass is now manufactured by Schott Zwiesel and are extremely difficult to find outside of Portugal. I would love to have a set of these but no one imports them into the United States. If you search the forum, there are a few threads on these glasses.
Julian D. A. Wiseman

Marjorie Lumm's Wineglasses

Post by Julian D. A. Wiseman »

The INAO glass design is excellent, and near enough to ideal for sherry, port, madeira, and whisky. I bought mine (well, those of mine that are in the US) for a mere $2.25 each from Marjorie Lumm's Wineglasses, ☎ 1 800 806 0677.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I believe the ones David is refering to are the "Chimney" style glasses pictured in Roy's article. Although they look really cool, I don't like them at all.

As for where to get them, I have no idea. Can't say I've ever seen them for sale here in the states. Then again, I've never looked for them, so I'm sure you could find them.

The Schott Zwiesel IVDP and Riedel's are generally regarded as the better Port glasses. Although the Schott Zwiesel's are not quite available yet in the US, to my knowledge.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Same as Andy, I'm not a fan of those Chimney like glass. The rim is too large and the hole too small to put your nose and sip it at same time, an essential component I'm looking for. I know a lot of guys in Portugal are using it. It is the classic picture of the master blender with this type of class.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company