Port tasting notes - context

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Mike McCune
Location: Bothell, Washington, United States of America - USA

Port tasting notes - context

Post by Mike McCune »

Given vintage port's evolvability when open and ageability when closed, a little context within the tasting note will help me a bunch understand the wine as follows:

1 - how long the bottle has been opened

2 - was it decanted, how (i.e. opened and double-decanted back into the bottle OR decanted for X hours and then back into bottle, ...), and for how long

3 - tasting date

4 - temperature served (or room temp) if over 70 degrees.

And... I'll try to post more notes, even from the past, so I don't just sound like a critic!
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Mike,

Some good points and one of which is already part of the rules of the TN Section, see HERE

While I agree that most of the items you listed are good to know sometimes, it's not essential to a TN. Most people here are good about putting that information in already, but sometimes it is unknown. As many of the old TN's I am now inputting I have no idea how long they were decanted or plain old just forgot. Plus we don't want to make so many rules that people won't post their TN's.

More rules = harder to do, which = people not posting their notes.

As for the temperature served. I have no idea, as I don't carry a temperature gauge with me :wink: :lol: (just busting your chops on that one :P ) On a funny note...I've been to only one tasting where the producer was a fanatic about this little laser temp sensor. He would measure the temp before serving any wine. It was the funniest thing to watch and I had a hard time keeping myself from laughing out loud.

If your curious or have any questions about a TN, please ask the poster if they know. I'm sure some really good discussions could come out of it.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mike McCune

Post by Mike McCune »

Andy it's absolutely silly to think that I am suggesting that we should make up hard rules about tasting note posting.

Port tasting notes, as opposed to table wines notes, often are not nearly as meaningful to me when they do not have decanted/opened and tasted-on-date notes with them.

Especially as they related to ports that I have tried. They often do not give a glimpse of peak which makes me just say, "oh, no wonder that's all they were able to get out of that wine, too bad somebody is going to take that as gospel (even though we know that they shouldn't)".

It is nice to know when the bottle opened/decanting regimen was not known.

So, I guess I'm busting your chops a little for excluding them in some recent notes.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Mike McCune wrote: It is nice to know when the bottle opened/decanting regimen was not known.

So, I guess I'm busting your chops a little for excluding them in some recent notes.
I agree, I like to know how long they were decanted too.

As for my recent notes. If I know how long they were decanted I almost always indicate that. If I don't know then I leave it out, which is many of the old TN's I have been entering. I can guess that most were popped and poured shortly before hand (say within 1-2 hours). My TN on the 1977 Taylor's sure showed that a short (or no) decant makes a big difference.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mike McCune

Post by Mike McCune »

Andy, since it's just you and me... if you get tired of all that 'old' stuff of Roy's let me know and we can pop some of mine (77 forward) when you are in the neighborhood. I've always got some ports and WA wines to open up.

I was kind of crotchety last week when I posted... but now have had my rib put back in place twice (after coughing hard). I also figured out that I potentially have a problem similar (I think) to Napoleon's (subscapularis tear) - I just need the funny hat now.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Bummer on the ribs, sounds painful. Hope you get better soon and Dr. Andy recommends lots of Port and wine to take the pain away :wink: :lol:

Next time I head up your way I'll give you a hollar....same goes to you next time you end up down here in sunny Southern California :winepour: