"Port Sippers" What do you know of them?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Richard Henderson

"Port Sippers" What do you know of them?

Post by Richard Henderson »

The beloved spouse bought us some "port sippers" from some outfit I never heard of called Argyle Wine Accessories. ( not trying to plug them--never heard of them-just giving information) .

These are odd looking little glasses that look like some sort of barely legal glass pipe with a glass straw that comes out of the bottom of the bowl that looks like a mouse tail. They claim the shape dates to the 1600's. They are odd looking!
I will say that they caused a 1997 Taylor to hit the tongue and hard palate in a unique and pleasant way. I will post notes on that wine later.

I was highly sceptical but I was pleasantly surprised.

The bowl puts the port directly under the nose for full bouquet and the liquid disperses in semi-spray to hit the tongue and palate almost perfectly to release and taste the flavors.

Any one know anything about these?
There has probably been a thread on these things that I missed while I was under a rock! :roll:
Richard Henderson
Lars F

Post by Lars F »

They really look wierd, I've never seen anything like it. I guess they are not that good if you happen to get a bit of sediment in your glass.

-Lars

;-)
Mike McCune
Location: Bothell, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Mike McCune »

Roy would probably call me a 'port sipper', but he did not know me in my 'beer glugger' years.
Richard Henderson

Thanks for posting the photo Lars. They do look weird but they do work. They do have to be cleaned immediately because of the sediment.
They are extrememly fragile and a little easy to topple when filled with liquid. We had several and some were broken in the box.

My wife gave these to me at Christmas and I was reticent to try them for a couple of weeks.
Richard Henderson
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

There's another thread on this already. I got a set last year for the holidays and returned them as they are too fragile to even hold. Much better for Schnapps than port.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Richard Henderson

As i said, I probably was under a rock but maybe some others would like to know about them.

I find them very fragile but very effective for enjoying port.
Richard Henderson
Scott Anaya

Post by Scott Anaya »

I was given one for Christmas and rather enjoy it on occasion for sipping a Port I know well since there is not much swirling and sniffing done with these!
Scott Anaya