How many of you buy and hold?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Jay Hack

Post by Jay Hack »

I still have 3 bottles left drom the 1985 Quinta do Noval I bought on release. I last had one in the summer of 2006 and it was worth the wait and in perfect condition. On the other hand, I bought some 1951 Colheita in 2006 and that was fine too. My answer is both. I bought one bottle of Fonseca 2000 to use as a motivation to live to my 80th birthday in 2031. Now I just backfill. But my recommendation to the younger set is to put away at leats 6 bottles evey year. In 20 years, you will think you were a genius and then you can invite me to your house to try a bottle as thanks for the advice. I wish I had done it myself.
Thanks Roy
Richard Henderson

Post by Richard Henderson »

I don't know "how many " of us lay down port but I think almost every serious port drinker eventually lays down port for maturing. I first was drawn to port in the late 80's and laid down my first case, Graham 85, in 1989. I bought my first climate controlled storage unit in 1991.
Now 282 bottles or 21 per cent of my collection is port from 1963 through 2003 vintages. I wish I had some more 1955 and older stuff.
Richard Henderson
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

I guess part of the equation is the window of opportunity for drinking .
At 45 , why buy and hold for the long term when I doubt I'll be able to enjoy the same amount of Port at 70 . . .
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Paul Eddy

Post by Paul Eddy »

I love to buy and hold. I do get great pleasure from storing wine and then opening and tasting them. If you have the money, decent storage and the patience, cellaring has got to be a must so you can ensure their provenance. The earlier you get them the sooner you can ensure they will have excellent storage and when you do drink them the chances are that they will be at their best. Sorry to rattle on about this but for me 'provenance' is King even with a wine as robust as port!!

Paul.
Port is the wine of the Maritime Left