Half bottles: are they relevant?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Robert O.

Re: Half bottles: are they relevant?

Post by Robert O. »

The only port I have found in the 500mL format is the Warre Otima 10 yr. tawny. I agree that 500ml might be the perfect size
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I know Rocha did their 2000 VP in 500ml bottles, as I picked up a couple a number of years ago. I have no idea if they are still doing it, or if it was a one time thing.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Alex K.

Post by Alex K. »

Are they relevant? Of course. I would like more half bottles as I don't tend to kill a whole bottle on my own, although I will kill more than one in company. I find the 0.5l to be slightly annoying and end up leaving a litle or saying "sod it" and polishing it off before bed when I didn't really want to.
I'm telling you - Port is from Portugal.
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

I have found Noval's Special Reserve (Ruby) in 50cL format here in Canada. WAY overpriced... that is the evil of the 500 mL bottle - a lot of times you end up overpaying for a wine because it is more than a half and less than a full bottle (in volume) but the price typically approaches the low end of the full bottle (or is priced the same as a full bottle, were it available.)

I think retailers would like that format size... great for profits.

Todd
Alex K.

Post by Alex K. »

I am perfectly happy with the cuteness of the Warre's Otima bottles, apart from the above greed-sobriety continuum anomoly above. The other bottles that I've seen like this are the Gilbert's G-plan stuff, which is a bit junky but pretty cheap.
I'm telling you - Port is from Portugal.
JacobH

Post by JacobH »

In terms of 500ml bottles, apart from the Warre's Optima (where, rather unimpressive, the 500ml bottle is “hidden” inside a box…) and, now the “Pink Port”, I was also thinking of the Delaforce Colheitas, which are, I believe, mostly sold in the 500ml. It also seems a bit more common in the Madeira market (especially the lower end, where I have to confess I operate), which does strike me as a bit odd considering how long Madeira can last opened!

-Jacob
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Todd Pettinger wrote: Drinking a 750 alone could cause some of the Port to get over its peak by the time you are finished
I am unfamiliar with this phenomenon :twisted:

Todd, you just need more practice :wink:

Derek
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I was thinking the same thing :mrgreen:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I just ordered a 375 of the '57 Kopke Colheita, which was the only way I was going to find it at a price I could rationalize. So I believe I have discovered a very good purpose for the splits - to enable people to try exceptional vintages that they might not otherwise be able to afford.

The only bottle I've paid more for (so far) are my twin '94 Fonsecas. I don't think I'd buy a 375 to lay down, but for something that's ready to consume now (like the '57 Kopke) I can now see another reason for them to exist.
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Glenn,

This makes a ton of sense. Along with Fred's comment about using half bottles to check up on young VPs without having to "waste" a full 750 to do so, I see that these two points are excellent.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com