The "last" Vintage Port concept

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Moses Botbol

Re: The "last" Vintage Port concept

Post by Moses Botbol »

Luc Gauthier wrote:Moses ,
Your better half schleps you around to buy VP !!!
Respect !!!
Yup, can't serve her 6Grapes either :cry: ... She likes 20-30 year tawny or Colheita more than VP.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

I see a patern forming . . .
My better half doesn't go for VP . . .
30 yr old Colheitas only . . . ( Italian dessert wine )
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Luc,

I assume in your part of Canada, that requires you to carry a 2nd mortgage?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Not only that , but when my kids turn 21 , the SAQ gets 35% of all VP that they buy :shock: :shock:

Jeez , my 500th post , and the SAQ still brings a lousy taste to my mouth :wall:
Alan Gardner

Post by Alan Gardner »

Derek T. wrote:Todd (and others),

Have you considered buying and storing your 2003, 2005 and 2007s in the UK?

You could buy them "In Bond" which means you pay no tax at the point of purchase and then have them shipped home in a few years time when your kids are old enough to appreciate them. Even if you have to pay Canadian import tax at that point you will only be paying it based on the price that appears on your invoice from the time of purchase. This would be a very cost effective way of buying your long term keepers, especially if you buy them a few years after first release when the prices have dropped to normalised market levels.
Derek
Regrettably you are not familiar with Canadian Import Laws. These are carefully phrased to ensure that all taxes/duties etc are based on "value" - NOT "cost". In practice this means that they use RETAIL price - as I found out to my EXTREME cost (had to pay over $4000 on around 30 bottles; if I hadn't, the bottles would have been confiscated and poured away - at least I can now fight for a refund) - and it's tough to fight 'city hall'.
And markups (total amount due) are horrendous - of the order of 125-150% (the variation is because some are by volume and some by 'value').
FYI - the second question asked when you cross the border into Canada (after citizenship) is "Do you have any alcohol or tobacco?"
I'll stop now before this turns into a rant.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Canada is tough. I don't mind bringing up two bottles for anyone when I visit Montreal as two bottles is the limit tax free.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Alan,

You're right, I didn't know that. You guys have it even tougher than I thought. Perhaps you should have stayed British :P (just joking :wink: )

Does the two bottle tax free rule apply to wine posted into the country or do you have to carry it in yourself?

Derek
Alan Gardner

Post by Alan Gardner »

You MUST carry it yourself.
In fact, it's illegal to mail it - they confiscate!

Do we have to take your politicians too??
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Alan Gardner wrote:You MUST carry it yourself.
In fact, it's illegal to mail it - they confiscate!
That's Plan B scuppered then :roll:
Alan Gardner wrote:Do we have to take your politicians too??
Maybe we should just get rid of polititians and life would be simpler all round :wink:

But if we are to join our two great nations together once again I vote that we get rid of the Monarchy and all those idiots in Westminster, have Luc as President and Frederick as CEO of the SAQ :lol: - That should sort it

Derek
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Please, while you are disposing of Presidents and Prime Ministers, please do not forget to remove our refuse too. Fortunately, we have only 9 months, 29 days and 16.5 hours left of his reign of terror.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

I accept the nomination of President of the New Republic and second the nomination of Fred as the CEO of the SAQ . . .
I would also nominate Todd for the position of The Guy responsible for the Western Territories . . .
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Roy Hersh wrote:Please, while you are disposing of Presidents and Prime Ministers, please do not forget to remove our refuse too. Fortunately, we have only 9 months, 29 days and 16.5 hours left of his reign of terror.
Roy , does Obama drink Port ?
He already has the support of the feminist up here , next is the port lovers . .
Mike McCune
Location: Bothell, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Mike McCune »

a. one's age - 50

b. how long they've been collecting - 1997

c. preference for young and vibrant vs. mature and nuanced - prefer mature (or approaching)

d. length of time it takes for VP to mature - for me

10-20 on single quintas
20-30+ on VPs

e. room left in the cellar or places to put more new bottles/cases - am out of room now in a walk-in unit. I've started thinning existing VPs already by drinking some and selling some. At ~45+ cases of primarily VP even my kids will have a bunch to drink eventually.

My cellars (cases in parenthesis) contains back to 77 (3), 85 (2), 91 (3), 94 (a bunch), 97 (4), 2000 (4), 2003 (3, 2 are splits)

The 2005 Niepoort was written down as a 'buy', but I will not purchase this one or any younger any more. All done. Time to drink!

I have purchased my 'Last Vintage Port' (for my cellar).

f. all of the above - add em' up
Steve Culhane

Post by Steve Culhane »

I stopped buying at the 2003 vintage. Main reason being age (38) and price of port not really increasing.

I will buy a bottle of 2007 Graham and Vesuvio simply because I ate a couple of grapes at both these places last summer (blame me for the low yields :mrgreen: )

Steve
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Steve Culhane wrote:I ate a couple of grapes at both these places last summer (blame me for the low yields :mrgreen: )

Steve
Ohh, so that was you we heard about on the harvest trip last year :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Steve C.,

38 and done buying? Wow, I am 50 and won't buy beyond 2007 ... need that as it was a special year for me. Otherwise, I don't see buying new and young vintages anymore. Probably just fill in older bottles on rare occasions.

But if I was your age, I would not be done!
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Roy Hersh wrote:I am 50 and won't buy beyond 2007
Yeah, right :wink: :lol: :lol:

We will see...

I can hear the conversation now in 2053 when Andy, Stewart and I are consoling Taylor at the wake saying: "Sorry T, you don't have any of that classic Fonseca 2008 VP to toast Daddy's memory because he didn't love you enough to buy some" :devil: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Roy , since you're 50 , can you be considered as Vintage ?
If so , then , goody , I only have 4 yrs to wait .