Do you prefer Tawny or Ruby Style of Port

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Which style of Port do you prefer?

Tawny and Colheita
46%
Ruby, LBV, Crusted, Vintage
54%

Total votes: 35

Luc Gauthier

Re: Do you prefer Tawny or Ruby Style of Port

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Alright , ou est Fred ?

Todd , I hear ya . . .

My better half also prefers tawny's . . .
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Mark DaSilva
Location: Mission Viejo, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Mark DaSilva »

I checked off Ruby. Definately. Wife digs tawny ports though, so sometimes its a he vs. she to pick. As far as selling, tawny oustells by an 8:1 margin. Easily.
Alex K.

Post by Alex K. »

In the words of the Kaiser Chiefs: Ruby, Ruby, Ruby, Ruby!

This is purely based on VP not base Ruby nor LBV. I thoroughly enjoy a good tawny but it is the fruitiness with chocolate, coffee and spices of VP that I adore.
I'm telling you - Port is from Portugal.
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

My new 20Meg Broadband, says...........VINTAGE!!!!

The other are nice too, of course.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Come on chaps...us ruby drinkers are getting closer...only one vote away to tie it.

ok, ok, please vote whatever you like...can I bribe the rest of you to vote ruby :evil:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

It's 13-13 in the final Quarter with only a few Brits to vote. 8--)
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

andy velebil wrote:Come on chaps...us ruby drinkers are getting closer...only one vote away to tie it.

ok, ok, please vote whatever you like...can I bribe the rest of you to vote ruby :evil:
Andy,

A man who votes Vintage and quotes Shakespeare! Are you sure you're American.

Derek, methinks we have a Double Agent!
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Alan C. wrote:
andy velebil wrote:Come on chaps...us ruby drinkers are getting closer...only one vote away to tie it.

Andy,

A man who votes Vintage and quotes Shakespeare! Are you sure you're American.

Derek, methinks we have a Double Agent!
According to me Mum, I am part German and part Portuguese ( and a couple other things)...I guess that accounts for why I like Port.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

I pitched at the second option, but it really depends on the quality level

At entry level, I much prefer the Standard Tawny to a Ruby, and at a notch above have no clear preference between Colheitas and LBV's. However, at the top end I much prefer a Vintage to a 40yr Tawny

Tom
simon Lisle

Post by simon Lisle »

I voted vintage as thats what I prefer although some of the best colheitas are better than some of the poorer shippers of vintage .
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

So there we have it, a clear majority prefer good vintage port to good colheita port. :roll:

More seriously, what has really surprised me was how evenly split we were, and how that split had some distinct correlation to location (but since I am not a statistician I cannot say whether the correlation is statistically significant). I did find it interesting that it wasn't until a load of UK members managed to log on and vote, that ruby styles went into the lead.

Alex
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

It does seem to have a direct bearing on location and cost. Colheita's are relatively easy and cheap to find here in the states when compared to the price of a VP from the same approximate vintage. Where as VP's are quite cheap in the UK, when compared to our US pricing. But Colheita's are very tough to find in the UK (from what you all have mentioned). These factors do seem to play a very large role in the choices people made.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

It is interesting to speculate whether preference drives availability, or whether availability drives preference.

For me, I prefer Vintage Port but I can't say whether that is because I naturally prefer vintage port or whether it was because that was the first and most frequent style of port that I was given when I was younger and it was relatively late in my taste forming life that I came across colheita port.

Who knows - I certainly don't!
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Al B. wrote:So there we have it, a clear majority prefer good vintage port to good colheita port. :roll:

More seriously, what has really surprised me was how evenly split we were, and how that split had some distinct correlation to location (but since I am not a statistician I cannot say whether the correlation is statistically significant). I did find it interesting that it wasn't until a load of UK members managed to log on and vote, that ruby styles went into the lead.

Alex
So there we have It , a clear minority overwhelmingly prefers tawnys/colheitas to VP .
What does this mean ?
Only Le Sieur de Porto knows . . .
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Luc Gauthier wrote:So there we have It , a clear minority overwhelmingly prefers tawnys/colheitas to VP .
What does this mean ?
:lol:

Touché!
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

I'd take a top VP over a 40 Tawny, but my highest rated port ever was '52 Dalva White, so go figure.

Everyone- please send me a bottle so I can come to a resolution on which style I like better... :P
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Moses Botbol wrote:I'd take a top VP over a 40 Tawny, but my highest rated port ever was '52 Dalva White, so go figure.

Everyone- please send me a bottle so I can come to a resolution on which style I like better... :P
I'll send you a bottle of that Pink Pong to get you started . . .
Alex K.

Post by Alex K. »

Al B. wrote:So there we have it, a clear majority prefer good vintage port to good colheita port. :roll:

Alex
You may not be a statistician but I am and my wife is a professional statistician. She would go through the analysis and draw a conclusion, writing out a full recommendation about the statistical correlation between styles and locality, with error analysis added in for good measure.

Me, I think it's significant, but don't tell her I haven't done the analysis.

She said "probably" :lol:
I'm telling you - Port is from Portugal.
Scott Anaya

Post by Scott Anaya »

uncle tom wrote:At entry level, I much prefer the Standard Tawny to a Ruby, and at a notch above have no clear preference between Colheitas and LBV's. However, at the top end I much prefer a Vintage to a 40yr Tawny

Tom
Okay, I want to ammend my original answer of 50-50 with the button ultimately pushed towards tawny ....because Tom has really nailed what is my approach to the two styles of Port.

A slight caveat mght be that I dig a really good aged Colheita probably more than an LBV though.

So jeeesh, maybe my answer does not need to be ammended then since tawny wins 2 of 3 looking at the three Tom levels. hmmmm :?:
Scott Anaya
Lars F

Post by Lars F »

I voted tawny, but since my experience with high end aged VP's has been very limited I may be casting my vote on the wrong basis.

But I really love those old tawnies :D

Lars