1985 Graham's

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Kris Henderson
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States of America - USA

1985 Graham's

Post by Kris Henderson »

I was jonesing for a good bottle of Vintage Port and with some assistance, decided on this bottle. I decided to NOT decant this to allow for slower aeration so I could follow this over a 2 or 3 day period.

On extracting the cork, I noticed that the cork was in incredibly good shape. The Port had barely penetrated a half inch up the cork. The first taste reveals some funkyness that quickly blows off. The nose shows restrained scents of cinnamon, cherry, licorish, and berries. The palate shows nice sweetness with well integrated yet still firm tannins and subtle acidity. Good length on the finish with fruit and spices. Before I knew it, half the bottle was gone. Incredibly good but would it get better with more air?

The second day in the bottle reveals significant changes. An incredibly seductive nose lured me in. Everything I mentioned before but more intense and complex. Eating a piece of Santander 65% Columbian chocolate then smelling the Port and I was in heaven. The palate gained in weight and showed lush tannins. Prunes, dates, and figs on the long seamless finish. Shows spice and great complexity.

On the third day there just enough left for a few more small glasses. Showed much like the second day. I have tasted 1985 Graham's a few times before. This is by far the best showing yet, bordering on perfection for me. I realize there are many other great Ports out there with a better reputation that I have yet to taste so I must remain conservative in my score. 95
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: 1985 Graham's

Post by Andy Velebil »

Kris,

Glad this bottle showed so well. It's always a treat when a bottle performs better than previous one.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Scott Anaya

Re: 1985 Graham's

Post by Scott Anaya »

Darn, this 'was" my first house VP some years back when i scored a case for a really decent price. Sadly, I didn't have alot of other ready VP those years, so they went rather quickly. Loved it then and after reading this tasting note, I wish I had more!
Scott Anaya