Marketing the Madeira Forum

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Marketing the Madeira Forum

Post by Roy Hersh »

Peter and others, I am totally open to suggestions on how to get more people involved in this area of the Forum. If you have any suggestions, I am very willing to listen and do what we can to bring more people here. I thought that the Madeira Wine Guide would have enough people reading it that they'd come to talk about Madeira here. Unfortunately that has not happened as of yet. So let me know what you think will work. :winepour:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Heather Hathwell
Location: Glendale, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Marketing the Madeira Forum

Post by Heather Hathwell »

Actually, as of now this is the only place I go (save for browsing online shopping and Rare Wine Co).

We could perhaps check out some of the online tourist guides and sites about Portugal and Madeira, and get linked into the section that mentions the wine. A colleague at my office knew of my passion for Madeira and gave me a magazine for vacation/resort destinations (with "what to do" lists) and Madeira was highlighted in a tagline on the cover. When I went inside I found it woefully inadequate to the whole island actually, and the part on the wine didn't exactly galvanize me. And so it does remind me of doing my own independent searching for vacation travel; I am sure had this been online for example, and if there had just been a link somewhere with a hint of the sophistication surrounding madeira I'd click). I realize this may sound kind of goofy but consider the following:

Probably most people, including majority of wine lovers, usually go to travel blogs and things when planning a trip abroad. They aren't thinking of surfing the Parker forum etc (though I am sure there are some maybe who cover every angle), Parker perhaps being the most commonly visited forum. Maybe I am odd but I never do. In fact, I don't even participate on the Parker forum (or browse it for that matter) even though I've had Parker online for the better part of 4 years. So I would guess many don't think about forum surfing, on its own sake, in dealing with where to go and what to do. Once they have their solid plans they might go to a wine forum to get a specific restaurant recommendation in such and such neighborhood.

Imagine, if you happen to be checking out your destination in a couple of the best travel type forums, and you see that among all the various cool things to do there is this amazing wine that is made and by the way, check out this link for serious information (not some bottom of market type approach typical of most travel magazines which then highlights something mediocre where the madeira experience self-fulfills a kind of undeserved banal prophecy). And so one goes to this fabulous madeira forum, and if one is any kind of wine buff, interest is piqued, one learns something, is then motivated to actually make the region a part of the itinerary, seek out this part of their upcoming destination, and discovers a new passion. And chances are, loves it so much one comes back to the forum, share an experience and get active and perhaps start a collection, and have a reason to keep coming back.

There's just no place like this.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Lots of very well thought out ideas Heather, thanks!

Let me ponder this awhile and then add my response.

It was great to see you again last night for the Madeira Road Show SF. I hope you enjoyed the format, the wines, the people and the Fado. A pretty crazy lineup eh/
Roy
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Heather Hathwell

Thanks Roy! And yes, I had a super, super time. Lots of nice people too and the wine, well.....it goes without saying!!! (I am afraid I am still way too shy, so the reviewing part just makes me too nervous :oops: .)

It actually started occuring to me, after I left of course, that I may have met Shawn 11 years ago or so up in Napa (unless I have him confused with someone else.... but something was very familiar) ..... Did he have a wine store or something like, maybe importing?

Good luck with the marketing angle.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Hopefully we'll get you out of your shy phase during the FORTIFICATION TOUR, with a slightly raised BAC for 7 days helping somewhat. :evil:
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

In all seriousness, in rereading your post with the great ideas, I very much appreciate these. I wish others would chime in but for whatever reason, this Forum seems to be drying up. Plenty of lurking but so few posts. What can I say?

If nothing else, I'll see you in a few weeks. The lineup is so much fun I can not wait. I don't know which excites me more, the PORT or Douro wines ... both will be absolutely stellar and Madeira is even crazier than the recent report on last year's trip. I am really starting to get excited.

Best regards,

Roy
Scott Anaya

Post by Scott Anaya »

Hmmm, not sure i have any great ideas. But i do check this as often as any other section. As someone who does not have allot of Madeira knowledge to offer, i come for gaining some! I do get bummed when i check this or any other section more frequently than new posts are up.....usually only happens with this section though.

My only suggestion might be to have everyone send me their favorite mid 19th century Madeira and i promiss to start a fun discussion of each one daily until the wine is gone :lol:
Scott Anaya
Heather Hathwell

Scott: It's too bad you could not make it down to the SF tasting. It was so much fun and you definitely would have tasted many 19th century madeiras. Maybe the next one.