Horisontal vs. Vertical Port Tastings, which do you prefer?

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Horisontal vs. Vertical Port Tastings, which do you prefer?

Post by Roy Hersh »

I have done a couple of dozen vertical tastings and certainly have done possibly even more of horizontal tastings with Port wine.

That said, everyone has their own preference.

For the record:

A horizontal Port tasting would be choosing a specific vintage like 1977 and then having any number of Port shipper's bottlings from that vintage to compare and gain insight into the larger vintage. That is like what I do every time I review cask samples (just to identify what "horizontal" means).

A vertical tasting would be picking a specific Port Shipper and then tasting a range of Ports from that producer. For example a 1963, 1966, 1970, 1977 would be considered a vertical. I don't think two bottles side by side is a vertical. maybe 3 would be a mini-vertical, whereas 10+ vintage might be considered a "deep vertical" etc. I think you get the idea.

So given the two types of tastings which do you like more and why? Which do you find more educational?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

Re: Horisontal vs. Vertical Port Tastings, which do you prefer?

Post by Frederick Blais »

I did a few Horizontal of Port but never deep Verticals.....

But I think I'd prefer vertical especially to learn all I can of one producers.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I have not yet had the opportunity to participate in either type of tasting, but at least on the surface a horizontal sounds more intriguing. I'm still pretty new to Port so direct comparisons with comparable products would help me broaden my knowledge more quickly.

Verticals do have their appeal - it's probably the best way for me to get to try older or rarer Ports - but I feel like I need to experience more brands before I worry about getting a feel for years. Once I have identified a few shippers that I enjoy, then I'll probably want to do verticals in order to find their sweet spots, so to speak.
Glenn Elliott
Scott Anaya

Post by Scott Anaya »

gosh, I've had a ton of fun with both, but I'd have to say I slightly prefer verticals. Of course horizontals are an awesome way for me to really begin to distinguish among different producers......so, I might say they both are really fun AND eductional.
Scott Anaya
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

I am going to be greedy and say "both at the same time" :twisted:

One of the greatest port tastings I have attended was the first ever FTLOP Off-line in London in Nov 05. Graham, Fonseca, Taylor and Sandeman 1963, 1966 and 1970 - WOW :shock: 8--)

Sticking closer to the question, I think Horizontals give you more certainty of a few stunning wines regardless of the vintage (unless you go for a ridiculously bad year) whereas Verticals are only likely to give you a few stunning wines if you pick one of the top flight producers. So I would vote Horizontal.

Derek
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

One of the greatest port tastings I have attended was the first ever FTLOP Off-line in London in Nov 05. Graham, Fonseca, Taylor and Sandeman 1963, 1966 and 1970 - WOW
Back in the 1990s, I "created" the 3 vintage theme for Port tastings. It was a great way to compare and to teach about house style while having a small vertical and slightly larger horizontal. I called my tastings, "diagonals" as they were literally horizontal verticals. It seemed to make sense to me. :drunk:

I've done my share of 1963 v. 1966 v. 1970, as well as plenty of 1970 v. 1977 v. 1980, just two 1980 v. 1983 v. 1985 (most recently this past Jan. in Atl. But also younger versions with 1991 v. 1992 v. 1994. I love the 3 vintage theme and sometimes with beginners or intermediate Port enthusiasts, I have done the first two flights open and only the last one blind to see if they could get the house style from understanding the first two flights. It is a great way to do tastings and in 2005, when heading to London, I had suggested this to Al B. who quickly did a great job in putting the tasting together. It was fabulous and made better by having so many FTLOPers in the same place. Mario even flew in, to meet the gang and this was a year before some of the UK team came with us on the 2006 Harvest tour.

I had known some of the guys from even before FTLOP, like Linden Wilke and especially Nick Alabaster and one of my best buddies, Nicos Neocleous. But Alex K. was a member of the WS Forum and others were known from Tom Cannavan's Wine Pages. So to me, it was the ultimate offline, not just because at that point everyone also was a participant on FTLOP, but because everyone was a serious Port fan. Definitely a great tasting, made even better by being in the fine tunnel within London's Crusting Pipe. I've only been there 3 times, but besides VinoLogia and my home, I can't think of anyplace that I rather be drinking Port (well, maybe one or two Douro Quintas come to mind but ... ).
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com