1966 Graham's Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Elyas Beria

1966 Graham's Vintage Port

Post by Elyas Beria »

This is the first Port I opened using my bonging method of opening a bottle (see the topic "Tongs Anyone?" in Port Forum.)

This is one of the oldest Ports I've ever had. I'm still relatively a Port neophyte.

The wine was absolutely fantastic. Showing perfectly. I had a sense that it was at the beginning stages of its maturity and could have easily aged another 42 years or more.

The nose was very hot with a burst of alcohol jetting out of the glass. Aromas of red cherries and other red fruits along with a nuttiness. Plush and creamy texture with notes of caramel, cherries, hazelnuts, plums, and a really interesting subtle smokiness. Really great. A crowd pleaser for sure.

We tasted a little at opening and and decanted for three to four hours. I feel like an idiot saying this but it honestly hadn't changed all that much. Probably not decanted long enough. Not that there was anything wrong with that because it was brilliant right out of the bottle. Perhaps the most memorable characteristic for me was the incredibly supple texture. like cascading sheets of caramely satin. Mmmmmm.

The bottle was from an English cellar so was unlabeled but it did have a cool wax seal.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: 1966 Graham's Vintage Port

Post by Andy Velebil »

Glad you really enjoyed this VP, it a very tasty bottle and noe I had earlier this month. 3-4 hours was a bit short, I decanted mine for 8 hours and it was just starting to hit its full potential. By the end of the evening, it was just singing.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com