1999 Warre's LBV Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Todd Pettinger

1999 Warre's LBV Port

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Warre’s Late Bottled Vintage Port – 1999 [bottled in 2003]
Unfiltered; driven cork.

The last time I tried this I didn’t find it great. Certainly not as good as the 1995 Warre’s LBV that I had sampled recently before trying the 1999. Perhaps it is just the fact that I have drank few good Ports over the past couple of months, or perhaps it is the fact that six months (nearly) has gone by, but the last two bottles of 1999 LBV by Warre’s has been very good – much better than my mind gives credit for.

Still with an abundance of grapes, cherries and cocoa in the palate and nose, this LBV seems to have progressed to the point where I spent an evening with it and over 4-5 hours, consumed the entire bottle. This is the mark of a good LBV that has the potential to be great. When I can’t put the bottle down and make excuse after excuse to revisit it over the course of a few hours, it a good sign to me that it is great juice that deserves a place in the cellar, even if just for a couple of months or years.

91+ pts
Michael M.

Re: 1999 Warre's LBV [b.2003]

Post by Michael M. »

Todd, thanks for the note. I do like this one very much. High excuse factor :) .For my taste it is a tight weaved LBV in a classy style with hints of red fruits. It is already appealing, but it is so young and there is probably great potential. So I do like you denoted and put some bottles into the cellar to forget them for the next 10 years.

Michael
Shut Up 'N Drink Yer Port
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Michael,

I think that cellaring some of these will pay off in a decade. :d Here's hoping anyway!!! :D
JacobH

Post by JacobH »

Thanks for this note; I have some downstairs after being quite impressed by the 1992 and am also hoping it will improve after a few more years. If it lasts that long, that is! :twisted: