#18 What is your favorite vintage of Quinta do Vesuvio VP

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

#18 What is your favorite vintage of Quinta do Vesuvio VP

Post by Roy Hersh »

Not a long history. 1989 to 2005 so far, with only 1993 and 2002 missing. Of course the vast majority of you will vote for the exalted 1994. It will be interesting to see the comments and hopefully others might choose something a little less predictable.

I am looking forward to your responses!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Re: #18 What is your favorite vintage of Quinta do Vesuvio VP

Post by Moses Botbol »

Two cases - 1995 & 1997 in my cellar and have never tried a Vesuvio of any vintage - looks like I won't be of any help on this one :salute:
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

It may seem cut and dry, but like many things thats not the case. The 1994, whats not to love about that one. Such a beautiful moster that will no doubt last for many decades. I also really love the 2003 and think that is one that is hard to beat. Still so young with lots of life ahead of it. Although I own a number of bottles of the 2005, which I've heard great things about, I've yet to actually open one and try it. I've got one on death row but it seems something always comes up to where I open a different bottle instead, so there it still sits. The other years produced some very good juice but just not up to the level of being great.

But if I have to pick one, it would have to be the 1994. It just barily edges out the 2003 IMO and is stunning juice. No doubt the it can hold its own with many of the top VP's from that decade....and there is a reason its the only VP that I own 2 cases of 8--)
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Ah Vesuvio :D Can't wait to be there in a couple of weeks !

I did taste all between 92 and 05 and none is disappointing so far and all still look fairly young! Although 94 has a very solid palate, it had something off on the nose when I tried it, while both 2000 and 2005 where so impressive and complete in their youth. I had the 2005 3 times in the last year and I'd give it my vote. I brought back a wooden case last year from Portugal, it was a pain but worth it.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I have a half case each of the 1994 and the 2005 but, like Moses, I have never had the pleasure of trying a Vesuvio.
Glenn Elliott
Gary Banker
Location: Shirley, Massachusetts, United States of America - USA

Post by Gary Banker »

I have had:

The 1996 is the best that I've tasted. I also have 1994 and 1995 at home, but have not yet tasted them.
Paul Eddy

Post by Paul Eddy »

Well you've jumped the gun on this one Roy, I let you know after the 30th October once I've tasted every vintage at BBR :mrgreen: . Up until now I have only had the 95.

Paul.
Port is the wine of the Maritime Left
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Has anyone ever seen a full 12 bottle case of Vesuvio?

I have only seen the 1.5L and 6 bottle "foot lockers".
Frederick Blais

Moses Botbol wrote:Has anyone ever seen a full 12 bottle case of Vesuvio?

I have only seen the 1.5L and 6 bottle "foot lockers".
I have both home :D In Quebec they sell the 12 bottle box. You should have seen my face when I got to the SAQ to get my nice 6 pack wooden box and saw that unoriginal wooden crate filled with 12... I had to explain I was not expecting this and that finally I'd not take the entire case :evil:
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Frederick Blais wrote: I have both home :D In Quebec they sell the 12 bottle box. You should have seen my face when I got to the SAQ to get my nice 6 pack wooden box and saw that unoriginal wooden crate filled with 12... I had to explain I was not expecting this and that finally I'd not take the entire case :evil:
So, only the 6 packs are OWC?
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

I've only ever seen the 6-bottle footlockers. I've never seen any 12 bottle OWC's from Vesuvio.

The 1.5L have all been in their own individual wood box.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

I have a single bottle each of the 1994 and 1997.
I have a single case (6) of the 2005 which will belong to my daughter one day.

I have not tried a single Vesuvio VP yet. I would very much like to buy a bottle or two of the overpriced 2003 (over-priced here mind you) but have had other Port priorities thusfar (like things I can drink now rather than in 20 years!) :lol:

Edited to correct years of 1994 (not 95) and 1997 (not 98) after double-checking with the cellar
Last edited by Todd Pettinger on Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jay Powers
Location: Pacifica, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Jay Powers »

My favorite, by far, is the '94 (and I would even go so far as to say wine of the vintage, with the possible exception of Noval Nacional), and I also own two cases. Great to drink now, and great to drink later :D I have tried every single vintage, thanks to the '06 Harvest trip + a 6-pack of '05 I have since purchased.

'97, '00, and '03 are all right up there, and I have some of each. I think that after Grahams Vesuvio is the single most held shipper in my cellar. 1996 was a very good year for Vesuvio, at least to my palate...if the question is designed to go for a less obvious vintage, that's the one I would pick. 2004 has probably been my least favorite to date.

Jay
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Vesuvio does not produce a 12 bottle case. For better or worse, they sell in just six packs in the wooden footlocker that we've all discussed here many times in the past.

I have a bottle of the 2006 Vesuvio as my next Port to drink, alongside another 2006 for comparison sake although I've had them both before immediately after bottling, but before release. Very tasty!

Anyway, I love the 1994 and it could easily fit the billing of my favorite VP but that would be too easy. Given the swarm of 2000 VPs that were pretty fantastic, I would have to say the Vesuvio is right up there in the top 3 alongside Fonseca and Niepoort at the apex of the VPs from that fine vintage and since I've had this quite a few times now, it would wind up as my overall pick. However, the 1994 will always be a sentimental favorite, though down the road the 2000 will prove to be one legendary bottling from a Vesuvio standpoint and GREAT VP overall.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

Roy Hersh wrote:Vesuvio does not produce a 12 bottle case. For better or worse, they sell in just six packs in the wooden footlocker that we've all discussed here many times in the past.
Never underestimate the SAQ business Roy! I'm sure it was a pain for them to sell the nice footlocker on their shelves so they asked the Symington to produce a 12 bottles boxe. I'll upload a pic soon and show it to you guys.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Interesting, I'd love to see that as I've never even heard of a 12 bottle Vesuvio box being produced. I know that none are in the USA but had no idea that full cases were produced for Canada or at least the SAQ. Does that mean you don't see the 6 packs up there Fred?
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

I remember something Fred mentioned a long time ago about not being able to get the footlockers from the SAQ. Wonder what they did with all of them?

I too am curious to see the pic. Fred, was it an orginal Symington box or something the SAQ consolidated 2-six packs into?
Frederick Blais

Andy Velebil wrote:I remember something Fred mentioned a long time ago about not being able to get the footlockers from the SAQ. Wonder what they did with all of them?

I too am curious to see the pic. Fred, was it an orginal Symington box or something the SAQ consolidated 2-six packs into?
It is original Vesuvio box from Symington. They are bigger than Graham's case I have too at home, so its not just a new design in the same box, its clearly something only for vesuvio bottle size and shape. I'd guess that Ontario would receive those cases too as I never seen the nice footlocker boxes there either. This would justify doing something different as the volume is interesting.

The only footlocker I've seen was the commemorative box or 6 vintage? the one with 2 drawers, I did not have the money to buy it at the time, I could really affort buying a case from the 2003 vintage so I'm not aware of what was shipped prior to that vintage, and unfortunately it is also the last one we had in Quebec.

I can try to get more infortion with Symington's sales manager of Canada on why they are doing it like this. Was it them or SAQ/LCBO that wanted to do it that way?

For the photos, here are the 2 links :
http://www.fortheloveofport.com/portrai ... um=7&pos=8
http://www.fortheloveofport.com/portrai ... um=7&pos=9

Notice onthe box it says :"stored in Gaia". I thought Vesuvio VP was staying in the Douro facilities until released. Am I wrong?
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Very interesting. I assume it is at the request of your little monopoly up there. I've added the question to my long list so if I see one of the Symington's during the Harvest Tour I'll have to ask them about that.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

The six pack foot lockers we get are individually cardboarded.