Which Madeira is sitting in your "death row" queue?

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Which Madeira is sitting in your "death row" queue?

Post by Roy Hersh »

I am pondering which one to open up next. I have a 50 year old Terrantez by Broadbent which I am considering.

What about you, I know some people here don't seem to like drinking Madeira in the summer time. Just chill it down by ten degrees and it makes a great drink when it is hot out. Sercial can be enjoyed with the right food pairings too. So it does not 'have to' wait for dessert.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Gary Banker
Location: Shirley, Massachusetts, United States of America - USA

Re: Which Madeira is sitting in your "death row" queue?

Post by Gary Banker »

1978 Barbeito sercial is next in line. After that, it's either 1920 Favilla Vieira malvasia or 1927 D'Oliveira bastardo for my birthday.

I couldn't agree more with the tactic of chilling them for the summer, especially the sercial.
Jay Powers
Location: Pacifica, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Jay Powers »

I'm currently working on a Broadbent 10 year old malmsey. It's never to hot in Pacifica for Port or Madeira!

Jay
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Jay,

What is your assessment of that bottle? I'd like to hear your opinion.

Gary,

I have opened two of my three bottles of Bastardo so far. Although I generally really like Bastardo, I have been underwhelmed both times I've had the 1927 D'Oliveiras and a third time, when it was not my bottle. It is not bad by any means, but lacks some of the thrills and chills Madeiras of that age can provide ... even other Bastardo bottlings from the same vintage. Sorry, I don't mean to rain on your parade.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I'm thinking a Verdelho. I don't thing one needs to cool Madeira too much in the summer. The high acidity makes it refreshing. That's one reason, besides how well it shipped, it was so popular during colonial times, in the pre-air conditioned era.
Gary Banker

Post by Gary Banker »

Roy,

I've read your notes on the 1927 bastardo and Steve Shapiro's tasting notes, as well, so I'm going in with my eyes open. I'm curious to see what I think of the wine and will probably drink it over a week or so. Also, it should provide a nice counterpoint to the 1920 Favilla Vieira.

A friend has a bottle of 1876 bastardo (Blandy's, I think). I haven't been able to get him to sell or trade it yet, but I am very curious about it.
Gary Banker

Post by Gary Banker »

The 1927 bastardo is easily the driest madeira that I have had. I did not notice any of the bitterness that others have described. It's nice, but not worth the price.

On the other hand, the FV 1920 malvasia may be the best madeira I've ever had. I need to get more.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Gary,

Are you planning to join us on the 18th of October in NYC?
Gary Banker

Post by Gary Banker »

Roy,

I would like to go to the 18 October event, but I will probably not be in the country. I've been saving an 1884 sercial for something like that.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Opened 1977 Blandy's Bual, bottled in 2007 a couple of nights ago. So far, so good.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Got a Blandy's 15 year Malmsey that I keep trying to open but something else always cuts in line ahead of it. Soon I hope :winepour:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Jay Powers wrote:I'm currently working on a Broadbent 10 year old malmsey.
I just finished one about a week ago. Just amazing for me. More grape and plum upfront, just the right acid too. I first tried on a pairing with creme brulee and it was a perfect match; ran out to get a bottle from there. I like it better than RWC Historic malmsey for the same price, although I have not had them side by side.

I may be near on case deal for the Broabent 10; hope it goes through!
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Peter Reutter

Post by Peter Reutter »

Everytime I had a patient dying that was my age, a little voice inside my head says: No use keeping those old Madeiras for ever, taste them now, when your palate will still know the difference...

So in the long run some great pairs are sitting in the "death row":

1795 Barbeito T vs. 1795 CVM T

H&H WS Boal vs H&H Grand Old Boal

1842 JNV T vs. 1839 T private source

I won't live forever and I plan to outlive my bottles, not the other way round :)
And of course it would be even more fun to taste them in a group, so there is plenty of "ammo" for future tastings :)
*Wine makes poets of us all!* Hamilton in Silas Weir Mitchell's A Madeira Party.
Reidar Andersen

Post by Reidar Andersen »

Peter, great deathrow... I have the first four, but the last two I have not ? Private source ?

But I can add, 1846 T Borges against 1862 T Borges.....

But I don't feel so sick at the moment that it has to be done yet :Naughty:

And since I trust you Peter ,as my private Doc, I hope you can keep me going for a long time yet ! :hello:
Peter Reutter

Post by Peter Reutter »

I am sure that drinking a little Madeira (almost) every days helps a lot. Besides all the biochemical things associated with moderate alcohol consumption that lead to a lower rate of cardiovascular deseases, I like to think that some of that immortality of Madeira wine is transferred to me when I drink it... :D Doesn't that sound poetic?
I remember reading a story of a couple of men opening an old bottle of Madeira, I think one of them was Alexander von Humboldt (see wikipedia). Two dead flies were found in the wine and carefully rescued and their little dead bodies put on a window shelf. When the sun reach them, one of the flies slowly returned to life buzzing off in the end. That lead the men to discuss the magic powers of Madeira wine.
Anyone remember where to find that story? I would like to include it one http://www.madeirawineguide.com
*Wine makes poets of us all!* Hamilton in Silas Weir Mitchell's A Madeira Party.
Gary Banker

Post by Gary Banker »

Peter,

The story about von Humboldt sounds familiar. I have a book "Humboldt's Cosmos", which I read a few years ago. I will check to see if the story is there.

I have a Barbeito 1944M next in line. I have seen no reviews or TNs for this wine, so I am curious to see how it turns out.
simon Lisle

Post by simon Lisle »

None I have one madeira 1795 ,my father in law has my others I'm not a great fan but my experiance is limited.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Simon,

I guess if you only had to own one bottle and it couldn't be the 1802 Acciaioly Terrantez, something from 1795 would be a great 2nd option. 8--)

Are you ready to fall in love? Open this for a very special occasion with Kath!
simon Lisle

Post by simon Lisle »

Roy I'm no expert but the few I've had have been poor I have bought them for birthdays because port is a rarity in some years. I've had one good one which alludes me but I'm in no hurry to open the old one if I find I don't like madeira I'll pass it on to someone who does