Buying opPORTunities

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Buying opPORTunities

Post by Roy Hersh »

In November, I arranged for a Port and Douro wine buying op, direct from an importer for FTLOP'ers. It was actually quite popular, especially with subscribers who bought lots of the available cases and at an even greater discount than when it was posted in the Marketplace for everyone to buy in (at a reduced price).

I have been in touch with other importers who are willing to do this, including one that carries one of the top tier Port brands. They will provide FTLOP with a great opportunity to purchase Port and their first launch (major company) of their new Douro wine (never before released in the USA. They are also going to provide us with a two week exclusive offering, before releasing to the general public. Not only will FTLOPers get an exclusive on a highly allocated wine, but there will be a bargain price that will disappear quickly once our offer expires.

Another nationally known importer is currently discussing a Port & Madeira offering solely for FTLOPers and that could happen as soon as next week. We are discussing a great reasonably priced Madeira, a top notch LBV priced-to-sell and a great Tawny as well! I am finishing off a very long newsletter, so I have been posting less, although still trying to make these direct purchases work.

Before I spend a lot more time on this, I realize this is not the type of "buying consortium" that was discussed here at one point ... but does this sound appealing to you folks? The only downside for now, is that it is a USA only deal, which bums me out but I don't have clout with importers in other countries nor is there the concentration of buyers here on FTLOP from any single country. Even Canada only has a half dozen regulars here on the Forum. The UK guys pretty much stick to their own place and other parts of the EU would be impossible for me in terms of arranging special discounted pricing and exclusive allocations.

Honestly, I am going to gear the greatest savings towards FTLOP subscribers. Since I make zero $ on these deals ... intentionally done, as it would not allow me to pass on the very lowest pricing possible which I am all for doing ... obviously thanking current subscribers with great savings is my main goal and hopefully as a secondary motivation, incenting a few that have been on the fence to see the added value in investing in a year's subscription (as if 500 pages and at least that many TNs, plus a chance to win wine or a trip to Portugal is not enough reason to ante up :roll: ) which they could then make up direct savings on buying ops.

It should be noted that there will be savings for all :ftlop: participants, lurkers and those that stumble in here ... but they will not be as advantageously priced as what the subscriber's receive and allocations may be 10-20 cases initially, which could sell through to subscribers alone, we'll have to wait and see about that. Some of these deals will have to work through a retailer so that the vast majority of shipping coverage can be extended, whereas some importers can not sell direct, but can create a specific price such as discussed here, for a retailer to offer exclusively to FTLOP.

So, before I plow forward with this, are you interested?

My apologies -- in advance -- to those who are subscribers, but live out of my sphere of influence. :oops:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: Buying opPORTunities

Post by Roy Hersh »

Speaking of buying opportunities ... in this month's newsletter (being sent out on Sunday), there is a special offering (in the USA) for IVDP logo'd glassware. If there are any left over, I will then put them up for grabs in the Marketplace after one week.

Miracles still do happen! :D
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I'm definitely interested! I may not purchase every deal available, but I'm sure I'll snap up some of them.
Glenn Elliott
Raj Patil

Post by Raj Patil »

I would be interested in checking out the LBV! Probaby have some christmas money coming my way and can't think of a better use! thanks
Ray Barnes

Post by Ray Barnes »

No apologies are required Roy - you are already doing all you possibly can do.

Post by Guest »

Yes, I would be very interested!
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Yes!
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Richard Beeken

Post by Richard Beeken »

I'm in.
Ray Barnes

Post by Ray Barnes »

In light of the news on the glasses being also available only stateside, I look forward at some point to a purchasing opportunity that will be offered only to Canadian members, in the interest of political correctness. :mrgreen:

I have made this post after consultation with Prime Minister Stephen Harper, aka The Grinch Who Stole Parliament. :wink:
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Ray,

Think of it this way...its an excuse to come to the US to pick up an order. Of course that would mean an offline :mrgreen:

Seriously though, how hard would it be to buy it, ship it to one of us here, then reship it to you. Would the gov't stop the shipment or would it go through fine. Obviously, removing all mention on the outside of the box that would indicate alcohol inside.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Ray Barnes

Post by Ray Barnes »

Hi Andy,

Just to be clear, my tongue was very firmly planted in cheek when I wrote that - hence the emoticon at the end.

I have ordered and picked up wine before from the USA. Any shipments from a US member here to me would be stopped at Customs, I would strongly counsel against that.

Santaxman

This response proudly sponsored by Cola Free Diet Caffeine. Never had the taste. Never will.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Holy cow, what a country you got there :roll: I say a Wine-Revolution is in order, just throw all the wine into the sea when the cargo container arrives at the port. That will lead to a revolution and voila things will change. It worked for us at the Boston Tea Party :lol: :roll:
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Ray,

Actually, the glassware will be able to be shipped to Canada, no problem. Only thing is ... I just learned they don't have the IVDP logo on them. Not a big deal, just a slight bummer for the sheer cool factor, but at least the glasses will be here finally.

Andy,

Given that just 75 short years ago yesterday, (i933 is a good vintage for the IVDP's creation, my mother's birthyears, a Broadbent Madeira) the repeal of Prohibition took place in the USA ... who are we to cast aspersions? Besides, when it comes to shipping wine .... which country is more messed up than the USA? :shock: I believe the only one I can think of is Tunisia. :evil:
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy,
Shh, be quite, don't ruin it....I was having visions of some place else that actually had a more screwed up system than us :roll: :wall: :lol:
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

We have a system? Really? When did that happen??? :lol: :help:
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

1933 when the Federal gov't decided in their infinite wisdom that with the repeal of Prohibition, they would put the legal responsibility of creating laws dealing with the ability to ship interstate and intrastate (or not) in the hands of the State's legislatures. Chaos has ensued ever since and neo-prohibitionists have maintained a stranglehold in the courts of the land, with one of the strongest lobbying groups ever created, called WSWA ... a group with interests to maintain the status quo and ensure that they never lose control over the 3-tier system or the ability to collect tax dollars when wine is shipped. It is a very sad joke. :snooty:
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Andy Velebil wrote:Holy cow, what a country you got there :roll: I say a Wine-Revolution is in order, just throw all the wine into the sea when the cargo container arrives at the port. That will lead to a revolution and voila things will change. It worked for us at the Boston Tea Party :lol: :roll:
The first act of rebellion in America was dumping of Madeira wine by the Colonists.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

1. Friday the 5th was to the day the 75th anniversary of the ratification of the twenty-first amendment. I may have had a drink, but forget to specifically toast that.
2. I have mixed feelings on the mish-mash of state laws concerning alcohol. I believe the 3-tier system is a hindrance to choice and totally messed up in some states. On the other hand, I do believe in the concept of Federalism and states rights. And there is a reason I don't live in some states :snooty:
-Eric
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Well said Eric. I am absolutely for state's rights!

I am not in favor of associations that by design are destined to become a lobbying group to influence or more honestly put, "control" an entire industry.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

It's ironic that the state that is one of the biggest to sell out of, import into, has the cheapest prices without sales tax, is one of the most difficult to get alcohol sent to - Mass.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars