TN: Justin Vineyards "port" the first vintage

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

TN: Justin Vineyards "port" the first vintage

Post by Andy Velebil »

I was given this bottle from someone who used to work there and was told this was the very first vintage they made this Cabernet fortified wine, later known as "Obtuse". IIRC, this was from the early 1990's and very little was made, none was released for sale, and all was given to employee's. Kind of the trial run for what would later become known as the "Obtuse."

No decanting as I just now got the hankering for a glass of something and this was at the front of the cellar. A very sweet prune nose that is simple but pleasant. The first thing I noticed was the velvety texture that quickly expanded into loganberries and black cherries but with a touch of tar and leather on the mid-palate. The tannins are fully resolved and I don't see this getting any better with age. Matter of fact, I'd say this is at it's peak at the moment and will hold here for some time. A nice amount of acidity really keeps this from being cloying and it is a nice drinking fortified wine. The finish is rather long, albeit a bit simple, which is it's only draw back. Overall, this is a good fortified wine from California's Paso Robles region. I am enjoying this, the second glass now, and it's holding up quite well. 86 points.
12/05/08
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com