Clos Erasmus

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Marco D.
Location: Milford, Connecticut, United States of America - USA

Clos Erasmus

Post by Marco D. »

Nice to see the recent blog from Roy on Clos Erasmus. I've been scared of the recent posts on another board about the agability of Priorats. I only collect one Priorat, Clos Erasmus, having a vertical from 1993-2001 (it got too expensive for me after that). I pulled all my Clos Erasmus from my offline storage and was thinking of drinking them all within the next year or two. BUT... Roy's recent post is giving me pause.

How have other people's experiences with Clos Erasmus' agability been?
Marco DeFreitas Connecticut, USA
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: Clos Erasmus

Post by Roy Hersh »

Marco,

You have all the right in the world to be a skeptic about the ageability of the Priorats and because of the posts I have read too, I had serious doubts these would still show well, especially 1997, 1993 (which was in need of drinking), and 1992 which was stunning and not yet at peak. Although these notes are mine of course, I can tell you that the table of Priorat savvy wine lovers -- all agreed that what we've read is nonsense -- for at least Clos Erasmus has the fruit and structural components to age beautifully.

Nonetheless, I can not say that will be exactly the same for Finca Dolfi, Clos Martinet, Mogador etc ... all of which I enjoy collecting/drinking too ... with some Palacio's as well, but rest assured you are safe with the Erasmus. Why not open one of your bottles from one of the same vintages and see if your impressions compare or contrast to what I've reported, as bottles certainly can vary. I can speak for the three vintages above that they were purchased on release and held in cellar ever since. The younger ones were mostly from my friend's cellars too, but I know one that had been sourced recently for this tasting.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Marco D.

Post by Marco D. »

I've got a 1998 up on death row. I'll let you know how it is...
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Marco,

As a benchmark in evaluating longevity, why not pick an Erasmus from a stronger vintage than '98?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Marco D.

Post by Marco D. »

Hummmm... I thouht 1998 was a strong vintage (WA 99, 2007-2030)... but that's only one review. Just to be sure, I'll throw a 1997 on death row as well. Thanks again for posting your thoughts on the blog!
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I don't read the WA to be honest and I was going by 1998 in general as a vintage, which is not as strong as say, 1999 overall. It is certainly very possible that I am mistaken and the 1998 itself, is a great Erasmus.
Marco D.

Post by Marco D. »

Well... I finally got around to opening the 1998 and I was pleasantly surprised. This has changed dramatically from when I last had it 7 years ago... back then it dark, concentrated and somewhat oaky. The wood has integrated nicely. A bit light and closed when first opened, but it gained weight with air. Flavors of cherry compote with a rocky-iron-mineral-shisty hint filled my glass. Elegant, but not wimpy. Excellent length, structure and balance. Quite silky on the palate. In a nice drinking phase with no signs of getting tired or oxidized. Seems as though it has the legs for further aging.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

So, it is great and 10 years young.