Your huddled masses yearning to see light ...

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Your huddled masses yearning to see light ...

Post by Roy Hersh »

We knew the power was going to be in jeopardy today or tonight with forecasts of rain, 70 mile per hour winds and the probability of snow. Our power was down for the last few hours and it was dark close to 4:30 p.m. today. We were hunkered down with candles going, a bottle of Pinot Noir already on its way to extinction and a fine Douro wine in need of much more time to open up ... before we could approach the VP that is replacing the corked '83 Cockburn's. The 2004 Abandonado was opened while was putting together a puzzle with my daughte by candle light and my wife sat next to us reading the newspaper with by flashlight. Now that the lights have come back on, the mood somewhat less excited, we head back to our routines but will reconvene for dinner and have a nice quiet night together. The Douro DOC wine should open up hopefully sometime soon and the VP for much later is the 1985 Warre VP which was next in my queue. More later.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Ray Barnes

Re: Your huddled masses yearning to see light ...

Post by Ray Barnes »

I am glad you have the lights and the heat back on and working properly. Seems you are ready for almost anything. Too bad about the Cockburn's VP though.. :(
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Our power was only off briefly, Roy. If yours goes out again you're welcome to spend some time hanging out with us!
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Thanks Glenn! There is something that washes over you when the power is out and the heat is off. It takes awhile to realize that nothing is the same. Although we have a gas range and can still cook stove top which is a blessing ... no heat, refrigeration, hot water heater goes cold rather quickly and of course, radios/TVs/computers are pretty worthless. It harkens a family back to simpler times and we spend our hours together and sharing different experiences and certainly simpler pleasures. I was not thrilled when the lights came back on, to tell you the truth. The ambience without them ... accepted and enjoyed ... albeit anachronistic, was really delightful.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com