Jose Maria de Fonseca, Moscatel de Setubal

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Jose Maria de Fonseca, Moscatel de Setubal

Post by Roy Hersh »

We've recently read tasting notes of fine Australian Muscat and a discussion on another thread about an ancient bottle of JM de Fonseca's Moscatel. It gave me pause to consider if there was really anywhere or any producer that was making better bottlings from the Muscat (Moscato/Moscatel) cultivar. Italy has some stunning versions, France has their light and elegant ones too, Australia makes some intense in your face versions, So. Africa some amazing Tawny ones and so on.

So what is the greatest Muscat-based wine producer or bottling you've ever tried?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Ifune

Re: Jose Maria de Fonseca, Moscatel de Setubal

Post by Eric Ifune »

I'm going with either the Fonseca Setubal or some of the Rare Rutherglen Muscats. I've had many fortifieds and passitos from Italy but they haven't had the depth or complexity. I've had some Moscato d"Asti's which are marvalous in their own way, but a completely different beast. I also have a 1958 4 puttonyos muscat Tokaji which I'm waiting to try.
Eric Ifune

Re: Jose Maria de Fonseca, Moscatel de Setubal

Post by Eric Ifune »

Oh, How can I forget the 1875 D'Oliveira Moscatel!