NFL Conference Championship Weekend

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Ray Barnes

NFL Conference Championship Weekend

Post by Ray Barnes »

The only team that made it to the final 4 from my projections at the end of the season is the Steelers. Calling these playoffs a bit strange, in my view, would be a bit of an understatement, especially the shocker in Carolina last Saturday night. I would have bet $100 against the Cardinals in that one regardless of the point spread.

NFC Championship: Philadelphia at Arizona

I'm still in a state of shock that Arizona is hosting this game after the regular season. But I think the Eagles, after knocking off the defending champions, are on a pretty good roll and have more weapons on both sides of the ball than do the Cardinals. I think this will be a close game but I see the Cardinals getting burned late by an Asante Samuels interception - he has something to prove after missing what ought to have been an interception late in the Super Bowl. I am taking the Eagles.

AFC Championship: Baltimore at Pittsburgh

I think the Ravens are doing this year what the Giants did last year. That regular season game between them decided late in the Steelers' favour by a very controversial touchdown will only give the Ravens more motivation. The steel curtain will do its thing again, but I think the Ravens are due. It should be another low scoring affair. I am taking the Ravens, but will not be the least bit dissapointed if the Steelers prevail to set up a potential all Pennsylvania Super Bowl - which would be the most entertaining potential result.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: NFL Conference Championship Weekend

Post by Glenn E. »

In order to help improve Ray's overall record for the season, I'll take Arizona and Pittsburgh. :lol: Actually, though, I do think those two teams have the advantage at this point.

Arizona's main weakness on offense has been their running game, but they seem to have finally found one. And despite having just beaten the defending champions, I don't really think Philly has it all together right now. Eli being Eli seemed - to me - to have more to do with Philly's win last week than anything the Eagles did for themselves. So I'll go with the home field advantage (like that's been any help so far in the playoffs) and predict that Arizona's passing game tears up the Philly secondary with Anquan Boldin back on the field. If Boldin doesn't play, though, all bets are off.

Pittsburgh suits up 7 extra players during this part of the playoffs (the ones wearing stripes) so unless Baltimore plays a perfect game and/or the Steelers really stink up the joint, this is nearly a lock for Pittsburgh.

(No, I'm not bitter. But the refereeing in that Super Bowl ranks in the top 2 worst jobs I've ever witnessed in a football game. The other being Nebraska-Michigan in the Alamo Bowl a couple of years back, though in that case the horrible officiating was at least reasonably balanced.)

There ya go, Ray, you're virtually guaranteed to win now. :oops:
Glenn Elliott
Ray Barnes

Post by Ray Barnes »

Thanks Glenn, we'll see what happens tomorrow.

This just in: special stipulations added for the Ravens/Steelers game, to avoid controversy. There will be no penalties. Players are encouraged to bring their weapons. The game will be played inside an uncovered 120 yards long, 160 feet wide, 15 feet high steel cage. The war to settle the score. :evil:
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

I'm off to a friend's house for some poker & tapas while watching the games. Should be a fun afternoon, I hope the games are good!

(I debated making my Port-seared Scallops, but decided that the process is too involved for a football party so I'll be making my bacon-wrapped water chestnuts instead. :wink:)
Glenn Elliott
Ray Barnes

Post by Ray Barnes »

Well Glenn it is now 21-6 Cardinals and I would say you are off to an excellent start indeed. That crowd is electric!
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Well I was disappointed that the "Stealers" won, but I figured that they would. Now we must pray nightly to the football gods that they do not win the Super Bowl. As little respect as I have for Arizona, I'd much rather have them win that Pittsburgh.

I managed to eek out 3rd in the poker tournament, and the bacon-wrapped water chestnuts were a big hit. All-in-all a great party!
Glenn Elliott
Ray Barnes

Post by Ray Barnes »

Congratulations on coming out correctly on both games Glenn and on a good party to boot. Personally I am less surprised with the Steelers advancing than I am the Cardinals. Today has made me thankful that I do not make bets on game results.

I am more concerned about the health of the players who hit each other helmet to helmet late in Pittsburgh. That was pretty disturbing stuff. The Raven who took the worst of it was fortunate he did not have a career ending broken neck.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I must wholeheartedly agree with Glenn that the worst officiating in any full NFL game I've ever been to or watched on TV, was the Pittsburgh win over the Seattle Seahawks a few years ago. Seattle was outplayed and should have lost the game nonetheless, however, they were robbed so badly that the game was no more than a joke.

I grew up with a very strong dislike of the Steelers anyway, given my lifelong allegiance to the hated Oakland Raiders. I believe this year they are a very solid team and am glad to see they represent the AFC. I still hope that Arizona somehow finds a recipe for success and embarrasses Pittsburgh. That is with all of my heart. My head says that Arizona will be beaten rather easily.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com