The inauguration

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Ray Barnes

The inauguration

Post by Ray Barnes »

As this day marks the end of an old era and the beginning of a new one, it is my hope that the future will be brighter not only for the United States of America, but for the world as a whole. I watched the ceremony this morning and have to admit to being moved by the outpouring of sheer elation of about a million people on location, and perhaps millions more elsewhere.

On recent radio talk shows I have heard much criticism of this occasion, in particular the amount of money being spent. The critics were not mindful that those who attended did so at their own expense, that there was relatively minimal use of public tax-paid funds. The critics in my view cannot accept a fundamental trait, as I see it, of the human condition. Life in general is 95+% hard work, and 5-% reward, and it is the latter that drives the former. Further to this, in this small minority of time utilization, there remains the fundamental need for celebration. On a familial scale these are largely addressed by public holidays and annual vacations; on a grander scale, for which the latter is a reflection of the former (and vice versa, all of life is allusional), one more rarely has events such as this one, conducted quadrennially or octennially. Here the family unit is expanded, as it should be.

The new President made an astute point during the luncheon: the event is not about him, but about an evolution in a family for which he stands. The beginning of his speech reflected his humility, as it should have, for I believe he understands the underlying dynamics.

Let me say this about politics in general. As a rule, I have tremendous distaste for it. Not because I lack faith in human nature - I consciously endeavour to practice metaphysical principles in every aspect of my life, to try to "see" the bigger picture in everything, and I believe that humanity is a reflection of something that is both of it and surpasses it, and therefore must be fundamentally good. On the other hand, I perceive that people become involved in politics out of unrealistic expectations, due to no fault of their own. People look to politicians to provide something missing in their lives, and these things they seek, the true government, the true leadership, can only come from within themselves. On the night of the election, I got the strong impression Mr. Obama was becoming a political Messiah figurehead of sorts - and true messianism is very different from what is commonly believed. It cannot be ascribed to a specific person, time or place. I do hope that peoples' expectations will not become unrealistically high.

There is no question that the new President is very intelligent and his oratory seems to have the ideal combination of speaking from the heart and mind. Whether one is a partisan, bi-partisan, or (in my case) neither, one has to respect what he is trying to do. I hope that his work and influence will help others become more fully integrated and productive within themselves and their communities, a trickle-down effect. Ultimately I feel that neither he nor anyone else can be the ultimate solution to anyone's problems, they must be resolved at the individual level. He can however be a catalyst, that agent which he represents in the consciousness of each person, for change and growth.

I do feel that in the world's present spiritual condition, governments and institutions in general will be necessary. It appears this new administration has an opportunity to help others help themselves. The ultimate Declaration of Independence still remains, in my view, a personal event.

Ray
Ray Barnes

Re: The inauguration

Post by Ray Barnes »

As a postscript, in spite of my reservations about politics in general, my wife and I are toasting the new President and the United States of America with a glass or two of American wine. I would encourage other members here to do so, to mark this occasion, and to the American members here, I toast you as well. We are having the 2004 Girardet Riesling, from the Umpqua Valley in southern Oregon. Appropriately, it is sweet. While I am not elated like many others, I am pleased by positive progress. Cheers. :winebath:
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Philipe and his son Mark who made the wine you consumed are humble winemakers and you'd like the family. They make a better Pinot Noir than their white wines imo.

To the bigger point though ...

It was a wonderful day for America in terms of the change from eight years of being dealt "fear" that Bush and his cronies foisted on citizens here, to the hope that now prevails. Will Obama be able to bring about the changes that will turn around the bankrupt banking system he inherited from the previous leader? Will Obama be the answer to eventually stop the ridiculous and costly wars which never made sense from the beginning, and less so every day? Will our education which is no better than many a third world country, be able to return to respectability under the Obama stewardship?

I am afraid there are so many obstacles that have been piled up by the failures of the outgoing President, (as his legacy will reflect once the books are closed on his regime) that the new leader of the USA faces the most intense first year of any President in our country's history. The good news, is that he not only has Congress on his side, but the will of the American people who realize that this task is so monumental, that it will require hard work, cooperation, collaborative efforts with other nations and not just miracles or the will of one man to change the course of history, and to bring the citizens of the United States back to working together and not against one another, as has been the case for nearly a decade now.

Thanks for your thoughtful posting.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Ray Barnes

Post by Ray Barnes »

You're welcome Roy. I forgot to mention, the musical performance just before the ceremony was a great highlight of the day, it was very moving. Olivier Messien composed a very haunting work titled Quatuor Pour le Fin du Temps (Quartet for the End of Time), I believe during wartime incarceration, scored for piano, violin, cello, and clarinet, seeming to mark in music a very sombre time of transition. It seems John Williams took this concept into a very different and happier direction, using the same instrumentation. Hearing Yo-Yo Ma and Itzhak Perlman playing together was truly wonderful, and the music had an aspiring quality that literally set the tone for the afternoon.

Ray
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

If Obama was a bottle of port , what year would best represent the man ?
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Vesuvio 2005

Fresh and bold, yet surprisingly layered and complex. Too young to confidently predict right now, but shows tremendous promise for the future.
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Very well said, Glenn!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Glenn E. wrote:Vesuvio 2005

Fresh and bold, yet surprisingly layered and complex. Too young to confidently predict right now, but shows tremendous promise for the future.
And how was the Port :help: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Alex R
Location: LA LA Land, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Alex R »

Luc Gauthier wrote:If Obama was a bottle of port , what year would best represent the man ?

83 cockburn's. :twocents:
Ray Barnes

Post by Ray Barnes »

Would anyone care to speculate what kind of madeira might be appropriate?
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Alex R wrote:
Luc Gauthier wrote:If Obama was a bottle of port , what year would best represent the man ?

83 cockburn's. :twocents:
I think some of his decisions must have negative outcomes in order to live up to the ups and downs of the '83 Cockburn .
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .