The next "Sideways" - "Bottle Shock" the movie ...

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

The next "Sideways" - "Bottle Shock" the movie ...

Post by Roy Hersh »

Scheduled for release later in 2008, this film portrays the Barrett family in a fictionalized version of the infamous tasting in Paris, highlighting Jim's '73 Montelena Chardonnay which bested some lofty white Burgs.

I am not sure if this will be the cause célèbre that Sideways became, totally transforming Pinot Noir's popularity thereafter, but it may help CA Chardonnay which needs little assistance at the moment. If I am not mistaken, it is still the most widely planted grape (of any color) in the state of CA.

So whether on the big screen or on DVD at home, do you think you'd bother to watch this wine-centric flick?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Marc J.

Re: The next "Sideways" - "Bottle Shock" the movie ...

Post by Marc J. »

Sounds interesting...I might check it out on DVD. Sideways did create quite a following and in fact I just returned from a wine tasting trip in the Santa Ynez valley & there are "Sideways" signs everywhere - still! I doubt that Bottle Shock will create the same sort of buzz, but it should increase interest in Calif. Chard. nonetheless.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I'll probably go see it... that particular episode in history interests me mildly.

I did enjoy the after-effects of Sideways, but not for the reason that many others did. My favorite wine to cook with is Merlot, and after Sideways it fell into disfavor so the prices dropped a bit. Yay!!!
Glenn Elliott
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Spooky that I thought of Bottle Shock in another context about 1 hour before reading this thread tonight :shock:

I proably will not watch it. In the UK we have bee treated to many TV series about people crossing the river to live in France and make wine and none of them have ever rocked my boat. Perhaps this one is destined for late night viewing on The Wine Chanel :help:
Erik Wiechers

Post by Erik Wiechers »

I'm downloading this movie right now. Did anyone seen this movie yet ?
If it ain't dutch it ain't much

http://www.erikwiechers.com
Timothy B.
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Timothy B. »

I'd seen it when it was in the theaters. I think it's a fun little movie, and it has Alan Rickman as Steven Spurrier, so that's a plus.

There's supposed to be another film coming out titled "Judgment of Paris" based on the book of the same name by George Taber. A winemaker told me that he thought the book was pretty good.

Since I've gone off-topic into books, I've also recently read The Billionaire's Vinegar. Benjamin Wallace does a good job of making it an interesting read.

-- T
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

That "judgement at Paris" was an actual event pitting some stellar CA wines vs. those from France, with the American wines topping their old world competitors back in the mid-1970s ('76?).
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Erik Wiechers

Post by Erik Wiechers »

Timothy wrote: Since I've gone off-topic into books, I've also recently read The Billionaire's Vinegar. Benjamin Wallace does a good job of making it an interesting read.
I just finished that yesterday, excellent book. The things people are willing to sacrifice or spend to obtain a bottle is amazing. Even after they know its very obscure.
If it ain't dutch it ain't much

http://www.erikwiechers.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Timothy B. wrote:There's supposed to be another film coming out titled "Judgment of Paris" based on the book of the same name by George Taber. A winemaker told me that he thought the book was pretty good.
I gave Judgement of Paris to my Dad for Christmas last year and he really enjoyed it. He said it's well written and an interesting story about the recent history of wine.
Glenn Elliott
Timothy B.
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Timothy B. »

Roy Hersh wrote:That "judgement at Paris" was an actual event pitting some stellar CA wines vs. those from France, with the American wines topping their old world competitors back in the mid-1970s ('76?).
Yes 1976 - and the movie "Bottle Shock" is about the same event. I'm told that the "colorful" Chard scenario in the film actually happened, too.

Here's the wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judgment_of_Paris_(wine)

Hmm, that reminded me that George M. Taber author of the "Judgement of Paris" book was also the only reporter to attend the actual tasting. Here's an interesting article:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... D8K231.DTL

-- T