Blandy's Grand Cama De Lobo Solera 1864

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

michael miller

Blandy's Grand Cama De Lobo Solera 1864

Post by michael miller »

Have a couple of bottles and was wondering if anyone knew anything about it. Thanks

Michael
Michael Miller
Shawn Denkler

Re: Blandy's Grand Cama De Lobo Solera 1864

Post by Shawn Denkler »

I tried it about fifteen years ago. I remember it having a green edge to it which was the first time I was aware that old Madeira could have a green color at the edge of the glass. I do not remember much about the nose except that it was nice old Madeira. The flavor was not intense, but good.

Wish I could tell you more. I keep fairly good notes when I go to wine tastings, but this was just a glass I was lucky to taste.
Shawn Denkler, "Portmaker" Quinta California Cellars
Jim Wagoner
Location: Laguna Niguel, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Jim Wagoner »

Funny you should ask. I actually have a glass of this Madeira next to me as I search the forum. This 1864 has been open, and in my decanter since November. We drank most of it on my 60th Birthday and since I have remembered to go back to it a few times.

It's color is a dark caramel, with a very slight orange tinge to the outer ring. The nose is slightly less than average intensity, with a tiny medicinal hint. Dark chocolate aromas or maybe closer to a dark chocolate orange stick and caramel.

Orange oil, molasses, roasted nuts, and a hint of chocolate caramel are what I find on the palate. This is not an intense Madeira by any means but it holds up well and is a "mellow" drinker, if there is such a thing in Madeira. As I recall it has not changed much in the 2 months that it has been open. But then my judgement may have been impaired at the end of my birthday dinner? I hate giving scores to these but as a reference I would say that this is an 89-90 point example.

Hope this helps.
Alan Gardner

Post by Alan Gardner »

My impressions are pretty much the same - have had this on several occasions and it's sort of middle-of-the-road. This was the wine that persuaded me that 'vintage' was better than 'solera' - although that view has been substantially modified by tasting several great soleras.
In hindsight, maybe this solera was 'overdrawn' by too many withdrawals.

Not a bad wine but not life-changing!
michael miller

Post by michael miller »

Thanks all. I believe it to be a Bual, when I tasted it the first time a few years ago. I have one bottle left, most likely will drink soon.

Michael
Michael Miller