hosting site for PDF files

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

hosting site for PDF files

Post by Glenn E. »

Does anyone know of a good site that I could use to host the PDF files of this past weekend's placemats?

I have a Photobucket account, but they only allow image files. I even tried tricking them by changing the extension, but they actually open the files to generate a preview and in doing so reject the re-named files as invalid formats.

The 5 files aren't huge - between 400k and 800k each - but the public hosting sites don't seem to accept PDFs.
Glenn Elliott
Eric Menchen

Re: hosting site for PDF files

Post by Eric Menchen »

I'd think Roy or one of the people running FTLOP should be able to put them up in the downloads section:
http://www.fortheloveofport.com/downloads/index.php
It would be nice to have a new category/folder up there. For that matter, I was thinking the same thing about the PORTraits section. We should have a folder just for the 1st annual gathering.

Sorry I can't help. I had a domain, but my ISP is getting out of the hosting business this week.

-Eric
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Take the whole PDF and select all & copy it. Paste it into mspaint and save it as a jpg. Photobucket will now upload it. Changing an extension will never work.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

These are 33-page PDF files, some of which are half 11x17 and half 8.5x11, and while I could certainly do what you suggest my guess is that the resulting jpg file would be larger (and far more unwieldy) than the original PDF.

I routinely fool Outlook by changing file extensions. Obviously you have to change them back to use the file, but that's often a good way to get around file type limits.
Glenn Elliott
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

I think I found a solution! I forgot that I have a Comcast.net "Personal Web Page" and that I can upload pretty much anything I want to that page. (I never use it, so it's easy to forget that it exists.) It's really slow, but it should work for this purpose. I'll give that a try and see what happens...
Glenn Elliott