1997 Quinta do Crasto Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Also posted in the Feb 2009 Virtual Tasting thread.

A dark ruby color that is more consistant with a Reserve Ruby Port, way to light for a VP in a major declared year. Interesting nose of pomegranent, red plums, very pungent black cherries and chocolate. This all combined into one of the most bizarre pungent and overripe noses I've smelled on a VP. While the palate mellowed a bit on day 2, it never lost a massive tart bing cherry taste. As if someone picked cherries way to early and then made juice with them. It very much reminded me of unpleasant cherry cough syrup from when I was a kid. The tannins were very soft and barily noticable. However, on day 2 they did become more prominate but were still soft and round with only a very slight bit of dustiness showing on the finish. A very one-dementional VP who's only strong suit was a decent length on a simple straight forward finish. I would have never guessed this to be a VP if served blind, I would have guessed a Ruby Port instead. I've looked through my notes and this is the first time I've had the 1997 VP from Crasto and I must say this particular bottle is the weakest of any VP from them I've had. I would like to try another bottle of this (this was the only bottle I have) to see if this bottle is representative or if this particular bottle was off in some way. 82 points
07/08/09
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Re: 1997 Quinta do Crasto Vintage Port

Post by Eric Menchen »

Very interesting. I have one of these and think I'll save it for a while, although I'm suspicious whether it will ever improve a lot or not. What do you think?
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: 1997 Quinta do Crasto Vintage Port

Post by Andy Velebil »

From my bottle I'd say there is little room for getting much better with time. I'm not convinced that was a good bottle nor representative, although I may be wrong. But i've had a good number of VP's, LBV's, and even an old colheita from Crasto and none of them were like this one. But this is the first time i've had the 1997 VP, so I have no prior reference points to compare it to.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com