Thee Cape Ladies - they're alive and well

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Thee Cape Ladies - they're alive and well

Post by Roy Hersh »

2002 Warwick Estate Three Cape Ladies - the name harkens to the three grapes that are featured in this Cape Blend; 35% Cabernet, 33% Merlot, 32% Pinotage - all from the Simonsberg district of Stellenbosch, So. Africa.

I bought a bunch of these while in So. Africa, during meals at the Pontac Manor in Paarl. I've always loved this particular vintage and rendition from Warwick. While in the W. Cape in 2002, I was also able to find Trilogy, which may have a different name here in the USA (if available) due to the name already being used.

Mike Ratcliffe is the winemaker and is also known for his joint effort on the Villafonte project with Zelma Long. He has a smooth touch and excels in the Cape Blend department, the category of which this wine falls into. Sadly, of the dozens of wineries I was fortunate to visit over the couple of years that I went to SA, I never did make it to Warwick, an oversight that I still kick myself for.

The label says that the wine is actually named for the role played by women involved in the SA wine trade. At the time, there were not many but the numbers were increasing even a year later in 2003 upon my return. Back to the wine!

Dark crimson centered with a broad pink hue on the edge. Gently perfumed with cranberry, leather, prune, pencil shavings and a char element. Soft and charismatic, at peak now but should still drink well for the next 2-4 years. Medium bodied (fuller in its youth) with plenty of glycerin. Expressive flavors of red currants, minerals, char and smoky dried prune. It says 14% on the label but feels like 12% and I don't often say that. It is velvety and although provides a slight whiff of Bordeaux initially, texturally this is more like a sublime older Burg with a velvety finish. Gorgeous right now. 93 points
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com