1985 Dow's Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Aaron Nix Gomez

1985 Dow's Vintage Port

Post by Aaron Nix Gomez »

Tasted on February 14th, 2009.

I recently purchased this bottle from MacArthur's for $76.

Immediately upon double-decanting there was a lovely dry, dusty herbal nose and primary fruit in the mouth.

Thirteen and a half hours later. In the dimmed lights this was less opaque than the 1983 Warre's. There is a restrained nose of darker berries with similar flavors in the mouth. Upon drinking this youthful, round full-bodied vintage port, coats the mouth with great feeling fruit. While it is fun to drink now it really needs to be cellared.

Aaron
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: 1985 Dow's

Post by Roy Hersh »

I love this VP as it is still so primary and boisterous today. Amazing to be so youthful at nearly a quarter century of age. Not many wines from elsewhere in the world, show this big and bright and young at this point in time.

Aaron, I'm glad to see it delivered and then some. I totally agree these need to be left alone in the cellar for another 10-15 years before really starting to show their greatness, which is evident now, just not showing more than great potential today. It will be a rock star around 40 years of age and a gorgeous mature wine at 50. :mrgreen:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Aaron Nix Gomez

Re: 1985 Dow's

Post by Aaron Nix Gomez »

I'm itching to try a more mature bottle of Dow's. Is Warre's or Dow's typically more intense and complex in the nose? Or is it more of a question of maturity and vintage?

Aaron