20 Year Old Tawny Port by Quinta da Costa De Baixo

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

20 Year Old Tawny Port by Quinta da Costa De Baixo

Post by Glenn E. »

Quinta da Costa De Baixo 20-yr Old Tawny Port
tasted 2/27/2009 at a casual tasting in NYC

Yellowish Tawny color in the glass. It looks much lighter and thinner than a normal 20-yr old. It is also very slightly cloudy.

A small amount of VA is present on the nose, along with a minty freshness minus the mint. Others mentioned specific mints, but I couldn't detect any actual mint at all... just that fresh lightness that typically accompanies mint.

Oak and vanilla immediately in the mouth, followed by a soft tangy citrus and a light caramel that is - thanks Dominic - diffuse. The mouth feel and body weight seem somewhat weak. This is not a concentrated Port, and really a 20-yr old should already be well down that hill.

The finish reminds me of caramel cashew Poppycock, but is relatively short.
Glenn Elliott
Eric Menchen

Re: Quinta da Costa De Baixo 20-yr Old Tawny Port

Post by Eric Menchen »

Glenn E. wrote:A small amount of VA is present on the nose, along with a minty freshness minus the mint. Others mentioned specific mints, but I couldn't detect any actual mint at all... just that fresh lightness that typically accompanies mint.
Menthol?
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: Quinta da Costa De Baixo 20-yr Old Tawny Port

Post by Glenn E. »

Hmm... no, I associate menthol with a particular smell (like Ben Gay). This was just the crisp, bright, clean sensation of a mint smell but without the actual mint itself. We talked about it a little bit at the tasting, but since everyone else was sure it was one or another mint I wasn't able to get any help identifying the sensation I was experiencing.
Glenn Elliott