Major Buying Op for newsletter subscribers

This forum is for discussing selling, buying and pricing of Port & Madeira.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: Major Buying Op for newsletter subscribers

Post by Glenn E. »

Roy,

:shock:

:thumbsup:

Now just where I'm I going to store a case of 40-yr old??? :wink: That's an amazing price for such a superb Tawny. And now I see why they were so shocked about the price I paid for the Colheita I took the the Port Gala! :lol:

My poor credit card...
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Glenn,

If you are serious ... I can probably make room and put the case on top of my racks in the cellar. Hopefully it will be a flat style of case but even if it is not, I can make room for one case with no issues.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Roy,

Yes, I'm serious. I already emailed them and ordered a case of it plus an assorted 6-pack of the other Colheitas. That's just an astoundingly good price so I had to take advantage of it. I am, after all, the Tawny guy!

If I do end up needing to accept your storage offer, though, I will probably move some young VP your way. Those all need long term storage, whereas the 40-yr olds will be bottles that I open rather more frequently than I probably should. :wink: Thanks for the offer... I'll let you know whether or not I actually need to take you up on it.
Glenn Elliott
Todd O.
Location: Monroe, Connecticut, United States of America - USA

Post by Todd O. »

Roy, you're killing me here!!! :wall: I was trying to save up my money for the fall Port Harvest Tour, but how can I resist an offer like this???

Seriously though, thank you for your efforts on our behalf -- it sounds like it was not easy to pull this off. What perfect timing too, since I really had been planning to beef up my collection of tawnies/colheitas, and this is obviously an excellent opportunity! :D
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Todd,
In all honesty, if comes to this offer or the trip, take the trip. It will provide more long term memories and experiences, not to mention friendships, than any single bottle deal could ever do. Just my :twocents: after being on the last 3 Harvest Trips.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Todd O.

Post by Todd O. »

Andy,

I was half kidding -- I'm hoping to be able to do both. :) I'll just have to keep it a littler under control with the buying over the next six months (which will not be easy if Roy keeps putting deals like this together)! The trips look absolutely amazing, and I should be in a place in my life this fall where I can make it happen.

Will you be going again this year? I know I don't have many posts, but I'm an extremely active lurker (is that an oxymoron) here and feel like I know some of you guys already. I'd love to finally meet you in person!

-Todd
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Yeap, my plans are to make it my fourth in a row this year 8--)
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

As always, we will visit a couple of old favorites but there are going to be a number of places that even Andy has never been before. Glad to have you join us Todd.

I just received a phone call from the importer involved in this offering ... and he is absolutely surprised by the number of emails that have come in already. He did not expect any until Monday when the "deal" officially begins. Port, passion and Patience ... well 2 out of 3 ain't bad. :mrgreen:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Us Port nerds may have patience when it comes to decanting, drinking, or storing it for 30 years, but that all goes out the window when it comes to buying it :help: :wall: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:

Glad to hear there is a good response as that will only convince them and others to continue to periodically offer these good deals to us. :clap:
Todd O.

Post by Todd O. »

Well, I was going to wait until Monday instead of "cheating", but since it seems like everyone is jumping the gun, I just put in my order too! Now the waiting and anxiously watching for the UPS driver begins. :D

I'll be looking forward to meeting you guys in the fall! Roy, since it seemed like you were busy planning the Fortification Tour at the moment, I was going to wait to send you an email asking about the Harvest Tour details until a little later. Let me know when would be a good time and when you start turning your attention to planning that one. Thanks!
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Well it is late Sunday and I'm trying to figure out how many I can afford at this time. Do I just put in for 6? Or hope the stock market has another decent week and go for more? I wonder how much the seller will be annoyed if I put in an order and ask them not to ship it until the end of buying period (so I can possibly add to the order later).
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Glenn,

Your Ports are safe here with me! :mrgreen: :drunk: :thanks:

Andy wrote:
Us Port nerds may have patience when it comes to decanting, drinking, or storing it for 30 years, but that all goes out the window when it comes to buying it.
Well, who can blame you for that?

As to other importers wanting to participate ... it should be a no-brainer, right? :scholar: What is the downside for them?

Todd wrote:
Now the waiting and anxiously watching for the UPS driver begins
Please know that you will receive a confirmation call re: your order, so there will be no having to wait for a driver to know exactly what you are receiving. Don't forget to read the ordering instructions.

Also, I will email you about how the Harvest Tour works, to keep this thread focused on the offering.

Eric,

I have to think that they'd be willing to do that for you in a heartbeat; actually ... it is a very reasonable request. I can tell you that they are not reading this Forum, although they do read the newsletter. So just ask them upfront when you speak by phone.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Wow, :ftlop: subscribers are amazing. I won't put the rest of the news in this posting but will just say I am blown away by the volume of orders in terms of quantity of orders not to mention the volume. In three days, just under 3 cases of 40 year Tawny has been sold. Unreal! The rest has me shaking my head in disbelief at how quickly people have jumped on this opportunity and I am very pleased FOR you folks! :clap: :clap: :clap:

This got my engines moving and I contacted another importer today, to start working on round 2 for a few months down the road. This will be with some EXCELLENT Douro wines as well as Ports. :scholar:

You've proven to me that keeping these offers exclusive to subscribers is the way to go! :salute:
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Has anyone received a confirmation call yet? I haven't, and am wondering whether or not I should send another email.

I'm pretty sure I gave them my cell phone number when I ordered... I hope I didn't accidentally give them my home number. I did mention that I would be difficult to reach on Monday, but it's Wednesday now.
Glenn Elliott
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

I hadn't heard from them either and checked with Roy. He indicated that the calls will start coming soon. As for your home vs. cell number Glenn, I can't help with that one.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

I got a reply email stating they would be calling soon regarding credit card and shippnig info. So patience my fellow Port drinker :scholar: :mrgreen:
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Got an e-mail also. Still awaiting the phone call.
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

When do you start working with the SAQ :D :soapbox:
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I have been working with the SAQ. Afterall, they're the only Provincial wine entity in Canada officially permitted to use the TNs from :ftlop: ... a nice start. :mrgreen:

Now shipping laws, that is a whole 'nother ball of wax!
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Hey Roy , If Fred or myself or anyone of the Montreal :ftlop: chapter can lend a hand , let us know .
We'd be only to glad to help .
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .