Frequently Asked Questions

This forum is for providing feedback on the Website.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Al B.

Frequently Asked Questions

Post by Al B. »

I have noticed that we have a lot of people recently signing up for the forum who have discovered this site as somewhere to learn about Port. This is terrific news as it means that the word of this great wine is being heard by new people in different places.

Interestingly, I have seen a bit of a theme coming through from the early posts of our new "portophile" friends. Many have spent long hours reading though old forum threads to learn a little more about the wine from the Douro.

As the forum grows, reading through old threads is going to become an ever increasing challenge. Could we make life easier for people joining the forum for the first time by setting up a new section on the website that records the answers to the "12 Most Frequently Asked Questions About Port"? (Stewart has a link at the top of this page on frequently asked question on the technical aspects of message posting, I see this as a possible vinous equivalent.)

Questions which I have seen asked recently and which I can see might be of interest include:
- The different styles of port
- The difference between 10, 20 and 40 year old tawny port
- When is a vintage declared
- What type of glass is port best drunk from

But I am sure that there are many other questions that people coming to this forum might wish to have easily answered.

Alex
Last edited by Al B. on Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Great idea and not one to be overlooked. In fact, I could then take those questions and do articles in the newsletter using these as the basis for education. As soon as Stewart is done sending out the newsletter you'll see that I have done an article on decanting Port. Hopefully, others see this as comprehensive enough to be used as a decent reference. Part of my impetus for that article was the hundreds of emails I have received asking for information on decanting.

So your idea as an extension of this site ... would not preclude me from adding a section for FAQs. I'd like to hear more opinions from folks here and also as to what "other topics" should or could be included.

I have not spent much time using the "search" ability of this site, so I wonder if you typed in a keyword if it would bring up the posts on topics, at this time?

One thing I have noticed is the increase in traffic. In fact, I just saw 7 ppl on the Forum at the same time and that is the most I noticed "live" since August when folks were busy signing up initially. Average monthly traffic had been around 600 posts per month. Today we are at the 6 month point, and since the 5 month point (we had 3200 posts on Dec. 29th), there were 900 new posts. That tells me things are really ramping up as you have mentioned, Alex.

Fantastic suggestion Alex! Thank you.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Roy,

I use the search facility on the site a lot now, mostly to search for tasting notes on wines I am thinking of buying or drinking.

It works extremely well and you can use it to search for answers to questions, although you still end up with work to do as you have to read through all the threads that the search pulls up to find your answers.

A FAQ section on the website, including your article on decanting, would allow you to direct new people to the website in response to their emails to you. It would also allow you to expand the FAQ section on the website in response to the questions you receive.

Alex
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Alex,

A wonderful idea :D

I did a bit of brain storming and here are a few common questions that I get asked by people, and that I myself have had.

1- What is the difference between tawny, LBV, VP, reserve, white port, traditional, unfiltered, Madeira, etc.

2- How long does port and madeira last once opened. (Roy, I find myself hunting down that one post you put up that answers this one.)

3- Roy, That list of major declared years you came up with.

4- General guidelines about how long to decant ports. (I know this one maybe a bit broad, but I am sure there could be some type of general guidelines for those newer to ports)

5- What is the difference between a "House", a Quinta, Lodge, etc.

6- A list of what major companies own what brands.

7- What is a demarcated region.

8- What types of port benefit with age and what types should be drunk near their bottle date.

9- What are the different types of Madeira (Malmsey, etc) and how are they different.

10- What is port fortified with.

11- What is the IVDP and what do they do.

12- What is that little white tag with numbers on it, that goes over the top of bottles from Portugal, and what does the tag mean.

13- What temperature should different ports and madeiras be served at.

Just brainstorming out loud :twisted:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Jennifer Hart

Post by Jennifer Hart »

As a new member to this forum, the organization you are talking about seems great. I am relatively new to Port and find that reading some of the back discussion threads have given me new insight and direction on Ports!

Thanks!
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Jenn,

Great to see your now posting. This is indeed a great site and I am glad you found it. We've both come a long way from those poor college days of cheap beer 8)

I am sending you a PM.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Jennifer

I'd also like to welcome you to the forum and thanks for the well timed post. I couldn't have asked for more perfect support than the first message from someone who only joined a day or two ago.

Thanks and welcome.

Alex
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Jenn lives about ten minutes away from me, at the most albeit we have never met nor shared a glass of Port yet. That will change.

Andy?

Anyway, it is a pleasure to have another Washingtonian here and welcome (again) to the message board. It is nice to have a greater balance of women and men here. The number are increasing lately which is good to see.

Now it is time to tease your friend Jenn.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Andy,

Some fine ideas here and thanks for taking the time. Some ribbing below and please take it as tongue in cheek when you see it. Gotta keep things from getting too serious. :D

#1 great and I will have to dig for a Port article I wrote many years ago which goes into great detail and then just update it with the new regulations from the IVDP that came out in '05.

#2. BTDT

#3. It is archived in with the articles.

#4. Done (January's newsletter)

#5. Dictionary or Pictionary : )

#6. Lower on the list of priorities but worthy at some point

#7. You'll find this in either Feb. or March's newsletter, already started writing this two weeks ago.

#8. This should be handled in a "Basics Forum" posting IMO.

#9. This will be done in my Madeira article once my Port trip PART 2 comes out, then it is Madeira time.

10. YIKES a "hot" topic

11. Very worthy. I'm still waiting to see if they'll include a link to this site on theirs. ; p

12. Read the very bottom in the legal section in every newsletter

13. very good idea and very easy too.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

:lol: :lol:

Roy,
In regards to #5, I prefer pictures, words are ok, but please no big words. :lol:

#7: Chop-Chop, times a wasting, :wink:

#10: You mean its not from my grandmothers old bottle of brandy, darn :shock:

#12: see #5 above. :roll:

BTW, I think a trip to Washington is in order some time soon.
Jennifer Hart

Post by Jennifer Hart »

Okay guys, don't get to anxious -- as I said, I am new to Port and learning, so let me catch up a little. :) Plus, Andy, I can't drink like I did back in college -- something about getting a little older, or maybe it is the fact that I do drink more expensive stuff, so it has more of an effect on me!

Roy, you better keep it to pictures for Andy, but for me, big words work!
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Jennifer Hart wrote: Roy, you better keep it to pictures for Andy, but for me, big words work!
Roy, Maybe you should write the FAQ with a 16 point font size. :lol:

Seriously the FAQ is a good idea. You could put in on the website and also a link to it at the top of the forum. In the menu where we already see a FAQ to use the forum, there could be a Port FAQ there. A picture supporting each FAQ question/section would be great too.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

As everyone seems to think this is a good idea I thought I would offer an oposing argument to having a FAQ page on the site.

There are indeed many new members who start off with a relatively simple and often asked question as their introduction to the site. However, many of these threads lead off into other discussions, often involving the originator of the question. These new members are then more inclined to involve themselves in other threads or start off more of their own.

If we have a FAQ page, I wonder if how many will simply pick-up the little bit of info they were originally seeking and not post to the forum?

Another reason not to have a FAQ page is that we are dealing with a very subjective topic. One simple question can lead to many different views - who decides what the Answer to each FAQ is to be?

Derek
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Alright, now is my answer to Derek. What about FAQ is a new forum section. We can't create subject, unless Roy authorize it. Inside the subjects that Roy have decided to be part of the FAQ, we can make a debate on the topic.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Fred,

This addresses my second point in that a range of answers or views would be expressed to each question but doesn't address my main point which is that it would potentially stop novice port drinkers from posting a question and entering into discussion with Forum members.

Derek
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

What about FAQ is a new forum section. We can't create subject, unless Roy authorize it.

FAQ as a new forum section: that exists already and is called: PORT BASICS FORUM. Rather than starting a "new" Forum, I'd rather spend my time (as others may be willing to help with this too) pointing people to links to previous threads.

As for me "authorizing" what should and shouldn't be a qualified FAQ ... I prefer to moderate as you've seen for the past six months, with as little interference as possible.

As to Derek's point: I prefer democracy in most cases and a collaborative approach to the site's content. How much fun would this place be if I made all of the decisions without asking for everyone's opinion? Blah!
Of course I reserve the right, ultimately, to decide if there is no clear cut direction or a consensus view. Fortunately, that is very rarely the case.

Lastly, ... again I agree with Derek. The more people to contribute their opinions the better. The response to FAQs by JUST me, would again be really boring after awhile. Sure I will put my 2 cents in when I feel that the many other very qualified Port lovers here, remain silent. But I prefer to encourage dialogue and am VERY aware of when ... and ... how often I post. At this stage I consciously aim to stay below 17% of total posts or 1 in 6, or so. As the site gets busier that percentage will naturally continue to decrease. More information than you wanted right? :D That is the reason why I don't just jump right into a thread with a long list of tasting notes to comment. Hopefully others besides me will step in and take the lead and it has been very exciting to see that happen more times than not.

My motto: Keep the dialogue open. Encourage diverse opinions. Please feel free to disagree with me anytime, as my opinon is just that of one man. Great discussions lead to excellent Forums. This thread is the perfect example!
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

I'm glad Roy said it first - I do not want to be part of a forum where only 1 persons view is important or blindly accepted as fact.

To my knowledge, Roy has not censored anything that has been posted here although he has often expressed firm views that are contrary to those of others. Whether or not we accept Roys views or the views of others should be left to us all to decide for ourselves.

Here is some suggested FAQ's page content that should hopefully satisfy everyone:

Q1. What is Port?
A1 = Fortified Wine from the Douro Region in Portugal

Q2. How do I find out more about Port?
A2 = Sign-up here and ask a question on the Forum

Q3. Should we always believe Roy?
A3 = About 17% of the time :lol:

Derek