TN: Sibarita Very Rare Palo Cortado sherry

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Ray Barnes

TN: Sibarita Very Rare Palo Cortado sherry

Post by Ray Barnes »

I hope the members here will indulge me in posting another tasting note on a wine made outside of Portugal. This week for the most part has been a nightmare, with my wife being rushed back to hospital late Wednesday due to sudden severe bleeding. She remains in emergency as far as I know, but is stable and in improved condition. Thank heavens, my daughter and I had the you-know-what scared out of us when this happened. In challenging times one is touched by the compassion and generosity of one's family and friends of many years' standing, and I want to go on record and thank my dear friend Steve Larosa whom I have known since 1987 for supplying me with a bottle of this wine as a gesture of mood amelioration. Lord knows I needed it too.

This Sibarita is made by Pedro Domecq and, to quote the back label directly, "a singular Palo Cortado, with the majesty of an "oloroso" and pungent nutty bouquet of an "amontillado". Its origin goes back to 1792. Of a deep, dark topaz color, it exhibits nutty flavours and lingering hints of spices. It has an opulent, long and well-balanced palate." With respect to the color I would say, at least in the lighting here, that the wine is more brownish than yellow-orange-brownish in caste and more closely resembles smoky quartz than topaz, when viewed from the side. When looked from the top straight down, it is much like topaz indeed.The wine is very dry with a slightly bitter nutty finish I find very, very fine indeed - and Steve concurred with that. Its finish lasts several minutes. It has a salty tang in the centre of the tongue with this nuttiness and woodiness at the edge, and the harmony is again very pleasant. When I first smelled the wine I was struck by the delicacy of its bouquet, indeed like an amontillado. There is a slight citrus element, picked up on the third time around. While the average age of this wine is listed at 60 years, I suspect, given it has a trace of wine made in 1792 and I am told the solera has been kept continuously since then, that its average age is in excess of 100 years.

For those who like dry sherry this wine is in my view a great privilege to drink, a magnificent example of what fine dry sherry is capable of reaching. If I were to plan a major celebration, such as a 50th birthday, this would be very high on my list as the ideal first wine of the evening, if money were no object. Steve spilled a couple of drops on my desk while refilling his glass, and after he left I took the liberty of wiping the wine with my finger. This is too good to waste, every drop.

This is well worth the price. One should try it if given the opportunity. I am a happier person than two days ago (not drunk I assure you).
Ray Barnes

Re: TN: Sibarita Very Rare Palo Cortado sherry

Post by Ray Barnes »

As a postscript it retailed in British Columbia while supplies lasted for $98 Cdn. For a wine of considerable age, that is not much to ask at all. I believe it can be obtained in the USA for $68 to $80 a bottle - something I intend to look for later this year.
Carlos Rodriguez

Post by Carlos Rodriguez »

Ray,
I also know this wine and I agree with you, it is a great wine.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Ray,
Sorry to hear about your wife, my thoughts and prayers are with you all. Thanks for the note and especially for a good friend who shared this with you.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com