1966 Warre's Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Aaron Nix Gomez

Post by Aaron Nix Gomez »

Oporto Bottled
Dark green glass embossed with "Warre 1966" with black lead capsule
Tasted on Saturday, 16 May 2009
Decanted at 2:25pm and tasted between 6:30-8:30pm.

This Oporto bottle had a fill level within neck. This had a youthful nose compared to the other 1966s that was lifted with cedar and spices. Really powerful dark fruit, with some roughness, and minerals that continues to expand from the beginning. There was a sweet, spiced, tobacco aftertaste.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: 1966 Warre's Vintage Port

Post by Andy Velebil »

Yes a bottle that I really like. I had this in a tasting at my house not to long ago and it was the surprise winner of the flight. A bottle that is drinking superbly at the moment.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Aaron Nix Gomez

Post by Aaron Nix Gomez »

My wife and I rather liked it. In my brief vintage port experiences this year I rather like Warre's. It doesn't have the power or primary nature of Taylor's but it seems to have a multitude of aromas and flavors.

Aaron
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

The Symington's opened this for me last Tues. after lunch and it was in fine shape as would be expected. Fun trying to guess what it was. Glad to see your bottle showed so well too Aaron. It is always fun having great experiences with these older bottles. I agree with you that Warre's is an excellent Shipper. There has been great consistency with Peter Symington at the helm as winemaker from around 1964 and his son Charles now involved too. The aromatics and complexity have typically come from the large number of old vines in their high percentage of field blends in their main vineyards.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Jonathan S

Post by Jonathan S »

I'm so glad to read that the 1966 Warre's has received such excellent reviews, for I picked up a bottle of it a couple of weeks ago. Yes! :D