2007 Croft Vintage Port -- (cask sample)

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

2007 Croft Vintage Port -- (cask sample)

Post by Glenn E. »

Tasted 6/9/2009 at McCarthy & Schiering in Seattle
TFP Vintage Port tasting with special guest Robert Bower

2007 Croft Vintage Port (cask sample)
Bright but deep red with purple overtones. Raspberry and some riper red fruits, along with dry mustard and a vague meaty note on the nose. The dry mustard and meaty note carry over to the palate, which is exceptionally well integrated for such a young VP. More raspberry, plenty of solid but not too grippy tannins, and a very nice floral impression.

My vote for best (of the 10) for drinking now, and tied for WOTN with the 2007 Vargellas Vinha Velha.
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: 2007 Croft Vintage Port (cask sample)

Post by Roy Hersh »

I really liked this one very much. Glad to see this bottle showed so well. Interesting to note the difference to earlier bottles.

That said, the one that Robert brought to this tasting was also one of my favorites. Very solid indeed.

Now I am going to have to grab some Coleman's Dry Mustard to see what you are whiffing in so many Ports where you mention "mustard" as I know you can't possibly be talking about Dijon aromatics. :shock:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

LOL... no, not dijon. I use dry mustard in cooking fairly frequently, and it's the closest approximation I can think of to one of the many aromas I find in a lot of good vintage ports. I know it sounds weird, but to me it is a positive note because it adds to the depth and complexity of the Port.
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

As I had mentioned before, I wasn't a major fan of this one the first day it was open. But what a beauty it became on day 2 and 3 when I tried it. I'm glad you got to try a good bottle of this.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com