Besides 1963, what is your favorite vintage of Nacional?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Besides 1963, what is your favorite vintage of Nacional?

Post by Roy Hersh »

Tough question for Nacional lovers?

Of course this is not theoretical, so please only cast your vote if you've actually had a Nacional that has made you a believer. Thx!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Richard Henderson

Re: Besides 1963, what is your favorite vintage of Nacional?

Post by Richard Henderson »

Ro. I respect and like you but this is like asking which was my favorite Lamborghini or Ferrarri or Rolls Royce.
I just dont't consider this to be a serious topic.
Richard Henderson
Lars F

Post by Lars F »

Richard Henderson wrote:I just dont't consider this to be a serious topic.
I have to agree. I wonder just how many people in the world can really give a qualified answer to that question (and how many who just claim they can :D ).

-Lars
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Young - 1994

Older - 1967 ( I almost correctly guessed this blind the other day. I said 1970 or 1967, then was told by Mr. Seely I had to pick just one. So I went with 1970 :wall: )
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Out of the 4-5 vintages I have had, 1967 was the most impressive. That vintage is for the ages. When, if ever will it be mature enough to drink? Truly amazing.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Moses Botbol wrote:Out of the 4-5 vintages I have had, 1967 was the most impressive. That vintage is for the ages. When, if ever will it be mature enough to drink? Truly amazing.
Even more amazing when very few producers declared a 1967 VP.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Richard and Lars,

No disrespect meant here, but there are enough Port lovers out there that have been to Noval over the years or taken part in verticals of Nacional, that this is a serious question. Hopefully someday you gentlemen will get to experience these beauties.

Andy and Moses,

As you know I enjoy the 1967 tremendously ... and I own the most of this vintage than any other ... at one time 9 bottles. The 1966 and 1970 have higher scores from Suckling and should not be missed. None of these is my favorite ... although outside of 1963, the 1967 is the only comparably great oldie for me. Then again, when put next to 1966 and 1970 in a comparative setting (blind) it would be great to try this again as I have only done that 2x.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Alan Gardner

Post by Alan Gardner »

As Roy already knows, I wouldn't have voted for the 63 as my favourite Nacional anyway - I far preferred the 62.
And I (sort of) put my money where my mouth is as I sold off my remaining 63 several years back - just couldn't justify keeping it (and essentially traded it in for about 5 bottles of Barbeito madeira from the 1800's).
I still think I won overall.

I also liked the 66 and 70, but was severely disappointed with the 75.

And, of course, I've never had one that has reached its peak.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

If someone would make a similar Madeira trade for my 1963 Nacional, for 5 bottles of 19th century goodies ... I'd be happy to let 'em have my pristine bottle of Nacional. Great trade Alan! :clap: :clap: :clap:
michael miller

Post by michael miller »

This is a serious question for me. In all my years of drinking Nacional, my preference is 1970. I love all the vintages of the 1960's. But, the one that stands out for me the most is 1970. Of course, I could say 1931, but the bottle I tasted from was a little maderized, so, not the perfection people hear about.

I have not tasted Nacional vintages side by side in a while. It would be great to do this sometime. To see the 67 vs. the 70. And 66, 64, 63,62 etc.

Michael
Michael Miller
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

michael miller wrote:
I have not tasted Nacional vintages side by side in a while. It would be great to do this sometime. To see the 67 vs. the 70. And 66, 64, 63,62 etc.

Michael
I agree, if you ever do this be sure to let me know.
Richard Henderson

This may fly as a thread but it still seems like a very exclusive club.
Richard Henderson
guilherme

Post by guilherme »

To drink now, the 1970.
To keep for the future, the 1994.
Never tasted the legendary 31 yet.

Guilherme
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Richard Henderson wrote:This may fly as a thread but it still seems like a very exclusive club.
But no more of a club than asking who's had a late 1800's Vintage Port, an early 1900's VP, etc. Many Vintage Port drinkers have never had anything prior to the 1950's or 1960's, very few anything prior to the 1920's and especially from the 1800's.

Yet there are many people who've had Nacional at some point in their Port drinking lives. It's like anything, if you seriously drink Port long enough at some point the opportunity will arise to have it. It took me many years before I had my first one a mere 3 years ago. Since then I've been extremely lucky to have tried various vintages of it.
Richard Henderson

Andy, you give me hope that I can be a member some day ! :shock:
However, those older ports you mention are also extremely rare to encounter, at least in this part of the world.

I have had one 1900 colheita but no ruby older than 1955 and then only a couple of times.
Richard Henderson
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Andy Velebil wrote:Yet there are many people who've had Nacional at some point in their Port drinking lives. It's like anything, if you seriously drink Port long enough at some point the opportunity will arise to have it. It took me many years before I had my first one a mere 3 years ago. Since then I've been extremely lucky to have tried various vintages of it.
Same here. I have been drinking Port seriously since the early 80's... and never had a Noval Nacional until 2005. I've had several now, but always due to the generosity of others.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Richard,

Why not sign up for one of the Port Harvest Tours, as I am sure that we could arrange for you to "join the club." Many of the people on this Forum had their 1st Nacional that way. There might also be another Port or two that you'd enjoy along the way. :yumyum:
michael miller

Post by michael miller »

Andy, Roy, anyone else,

We should put together a Nacional tasting sometime this fall/winter.

Michael
Michael Miller
Lars F

Post by Lars F »

Roy Hersh wrote:Richard,

Why not sign up for one of the Port Harvest Tours, as I am sure that we could arrange for you to "join the club." Many of the people on this Forum had their 1st Nacional that way.
-might be cheaper just to buy the Nacional yourself :D

-Lars
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

michael miller wrote:Andy, Roy, anyone else,

We should put together a Nacional tasting sometime this fall/winter.

Michael
I would be tempted but this year is getting pretty fully booked at the moment. A tasting of this magnitude is no small undertaking and takes a fair amount of time to set up. Shoot me an email and we'll talk. It would be quite the event for sure.