Portonic Portions - Extra Dry

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Steve E.

Portonic Portions - Extra Dry

Post by Steve E. »

I'm going to experiment with a Portonic for the first time. I picked up some Porto Rocha Extra Dry white Port and some tonic. What would be a good ratio with the ED Port (or at least a starting point). I've also got lemons, limes, and some mint to include in the experiment.

Steve
~Steve
michael miller

Re: Portonic Portions - Extra Dry

Post by michael miller »

We start with a tall glass, full of ice, then half white port, half tonic. We prefer mint, but love lime, and will do lemon in a pinch. We are having a few tonight as a matter of fact.

Michael
Michael Miller
Steve E.

Post by Steve E. »

Thanks Michael,

Worst case scenario... we experiment!!!

Steve
~Steve
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Like Michael, I do about 50/50 mix. I also prefer fresh mint leaves but also like a slice of lemon when I have no mint.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I've heard everything from 50/50 to 75% Port to 75% tonic water. I think it depends entirely on how dry you want the result to be, which is of course also affected by the Port you're using. The Rocha Extra Dry White Port is pretty dry, so I'd stick to at least 50% Port.
Glenn Elliott
Steve E.

Post by Steve E. »

I ended up using a 50/50 mix with some fresh mint and a lemon wedge in a cocktail shaker. Once shaken, I just poured it, ice and all, into a wine-shaped water glass (short stem). It was perfect on a hot WA day.
~Steve