Wine, NY, the Law and frustration

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Wine, NY, the Law and frustration

Post by Roy Hersh »

Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Edward Nemergut
Location: Charlottesville, Virginia, United States of America - USA

Re: Wine, NY, the Law and frustration

Post by Edward Nemergut »

This is extremely frustrating.

On a related note, I live in Virginia and have thus been unable to order anything from the past two FTLOP offers. Sometimes when I order wine online, I can get around a retailer tha won't/can't ship to Virginia by having the wine delivered to family in Illinois, who will then ship it on to me. Unfortunately, the past two FTLOP orders could not be shipped to Illinois either!!!

Anyway, I guess there is very little that can be done. It sounds like, while nearly impossible to enforce, most retailers don't want to risk breaking the law....
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Yes, losing their liquor license and ability to import and sell wine is probably not worthy of an individual order. There are always options to have wine shipped to a friend in an adjoining state, yada, yada ... but that is up to the individual. Some feel it is worth doing others don't and others write letters to their legislators and members of Congress.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Edward Nemergut
Location: Charlottesville, Virginia, United States of America - USA

Post by Edward Nemergut »

Yes, of course... I don't mean to fault FTLOP or anything: I am only frustrated that these kinds of laws exist. That is to say, why should sending me (or any adult) wine that happens to cross state lines be such a big deal!
Peter W. Meek

Post by Peter W. Meek »

Edward Nemergut wrote:Yes, of course... I don't mean to fault FLOP or anything: I am only frustrated that these kinds of laws exist. That is to say, why should sending me (or any adult) wine that happens to cross state lines be such a big deal!
Begin :soapbox:
We're all in it, together. Michigan is taking another hack at wine shipping. It is all to do with whose rice-bowl is being broken. The big distributors and middlemen contribute mightily to elected officials and when they want to restrict anyone's ability to bypass these profiteers they just send a well-heeled lobbyist to Lansing, Albany, Sacramento, Washington DC, or any other capital. The message is NEVER protect our profits; it is always protect our kids (from $200/btl VP? HA!) from getting booze; protect our poor states (do you know of any on-line sales software that can't apply salestax based on ZIPcode?) from missing a bit of sales tax; any other specious argument except saving their entrenched profits.
End :soapbox:
--Pete
(Sesquipedalian Man)
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

This is just so stupid given how much wine NY exports. Maybe it is time for me to boycott NY wineries, auction houses, and retailers, all of which are happy to export out of state and ship to me.