Besides 1963, what is your favorite vintage of Nacional?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Besides 1963, what is your favorite vintage of Nacional?

Post by Andy Velebil »

Lars F wrote:
Roy Hersh wrote:Richard,

Why not sign up for one of the Port Harvest Tours, as I am sure that we could arrange for you to "join the club." Many of the people on this Forum had their 1st Nacional that way.
-might be cheaper just to buy the Nacional yourself :D

-Lars
Not when you get to try 7 Nacional's in one day, as what happened on the 2006 Harvest Tour (one being the 1963 which will set you back far more than the cost of the trip alone).
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Hi Michael,

Can it really be 5 years since we did the 22 vintages of Nacional together? Or six years since that crazy 3 day event here in Seattle?

I am not sure if I could round up the likes of Mayson, Broadbent, Niepoort and Jorges: Borges and Moreira all to come back to Seattle for another one, but hey, you never know until you try. Actually, I do know that Broadbent now 82 is seriously cutting back on his travel, especially overseas. However, if you are serious about doing a Nacional tasting, I am sure this is something the could be properly arranged.

I own several of the key vintages, but I would be very reluctant to open them all at the same time, even for a great vertical. Having done a few verticals of Nacional over the years, I would still be happy to participate again, but only if we could make this somewhat affordable for all participants. And as you know, sourcing these today (although not hard) is a very expensive proposition.

Maybe we do a tamer version ... just stick to 6-8 fine vintages and have everyone split the costs. I could certainly arrange for ex-cellars bottles too. I agree with Andy, if we should proceed to do this, it is something we look at doing once the economy picks up a bit and people wouldn't be as reluctant to do a splurge of this caliber. 2010 at the soonest.

I hope you are doing well. Like I said, it has been way too long my friend! :salute:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
michael miller

Post by michael miller »

Thanks Roy,

Lets keep it in mind for 2010. I am ready for it whenever. I agree about not wanting to open all the vintages that you have. I feel the same way. Especially my one remaining 1963.

Michael
Michael Miller
Jay Hack

Post by Jay Hack »

1996. :) It's the only vintage I own. But I've never actually tasted it. I may open one in 2 years for my 60th BDay. It will be 15.
Thanks Roy
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Jay,

I really like the 1996 a LOT and the only other Port from that vintage which even holds a candle to it, is the Quinta do Vesuvio. That said, the 1996 is really solid, maybe not GREAT like the 1997 or 1994 ... but very very good. You can't take it with you, but expect it to be super ripe and young like a 2003 from a top producer. Enjoy! :winepour:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Jay Hack

Post by Jay Hack »

I may organize a dinner called "sharing the wine canon" based upon the thread I posted on the "other" BB about a wine canon like the western literature canon, at which each person must bring one wine from a winery that must be sampled by everyone who considers themselves a serious afficionado (to use a term popular on another BB). I will bring the Nacional and perhaps one of my DMs of 1997 La Chapelle.
Thanks Roy