Wine cellar monitoring

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Steve Pollack

Wine cellar monitoring

Post by Steve Pollack »

Do any of you utilize web-based wine cellar monitoring? I would like the ability to check temperature and humidity levels from remote locations. I am aware of services provided by CellarSensor and cellarPod (Apex). However the equipment is expensive, and they perform monitoring services for a monthly fee. Ideally, I would like to use the internet to monitor cellar conditions myself, without having to pay a third party. A wireless solution would be preferred. Any ideas? :help: Thanks.
Last edited by Steve Pollack on Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
dan s
Location: groton, Massachusetts, United States of America - USA

Re: Wine cellar monitoring

Post by dan s »

I have the following unit.

http://www.temperaturealert.com/product_p/tm-wifi20.htm

I haven't poked a hole in my firewall to allow remote access, but with the email alert I feel safe. This is the only one I found that had WiFi capability.

BTW: There are a number of devices similar to this. They are designed for monitoring IT installations and some have multiple sensors and different types of sensors. Humidity, water, door open, etc. A few even have cameras.

Dan
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Yes, when I saw this thread, I immediately thought of hidden video cameras. Guys wanting to catch their wives making off with a bottle of 1963 Taylor while they are away on biz.

Or, while at the movies on date night with the wife, the teenager sneaks into the wine cellar to grab a few bottles for the ensuing party with a dozen friends that are on their way over. Dad catches the young one on video camera, reaching for the 1989 Haut Brion and the teen has no idea how the dad could have possibly busted him.

I am sure there are closed circuit cameras in some cellars! :winepour:

This could be a new TV show (reality TV :shock: ) "Red wine, red handed." Or: "America's wildest wine theft home videos."
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Roy Hersh wrote:

I am sure there are closed circuit cameras in some cellars! :winepour:

This could be a new TV show (reality TV :shock: ) "Red wine, red handed." Or: "America's wildest wine theft home videos."
How about a combination or biometric lock?

I would think temperature monitoring via email, SMS or real time checks would be quite easy to find. I do not think the humidity is worth jumping through hoops unless a unit already does it. A change in humidity is nothing to lose sleep over even in the medium turn. The only importance I see in monitoring humidity is if it dropped, perhaps the humidity device is broken and could be leaking?

That should be picked up on the water on floor monitor :Naughty:
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars