Which 80's Ports do you prefer?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

guilherme

Re: Which 80's Ports do you prefer?

Post by guilherme »

Carlos Rodriguez wrote:
guilherme wrote:Dow's and Graham's.

Guilherme
Which ones? Vintages...??
1980. Isn`t that the issue ?

Guilherme
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Wow, not much talk about 1980 Taylor or 1980 Sandeman; both are good vintages that are under the radar. Perhaps not epic vintages, but certainly drinking well now and worth seeking out. Bost are fairly rare in USA for some reason.

Just picked up a case of '80 Sandeman. Have had several of these in magnums and I hope the bottles are splendid.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Carlos Rodriguez

Post by Carlos Rodriguez »

Moses Botbol wrote:Wow, not much talk about 1980 Taylor or 1980 Sandeman; both are good vintages that are under the radar. Perhaps not epic vintages, but certainly drinking well now and worth seeking out. Bost are fairly rare in USA for some reason.
At the end some one talk about Taylor´s Vintage (before was Vargellas).
Carlos Rodriguez

guilherme wrote:
Carlos Rodriguez wrote:
guilherme wrote:Dow's and Graham's.

Guilherme
Which ones? Vintages...??
1980. Isn`t that the issue ?

Guilherme

Yes, all the 80's decade. I only was wandering which year (80, 81, 82, 83, ...).
Carlos Rodriguez

I've tried the Graham's 1983 . It was o.k., but nothing special. I was thinking that a brand as Graham's, all his Vintages would be above to the average. And this one did surprise me. I was waiting for something better, more special. I've tried second brands as Vargellas, Bomfim, even not top brands (Dalva, Quinta do Estanho, ...), that I did like much more than this vintage 1983. It has been a disappointment.
Carlos Rodriguez

At the moment nobody has vote for Quinta do Noval.
??????
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Carlos Rodriguez wrote:At the moment nobody has vote for Quinta do Noval.
??????
I think the general impression is that the 70-80s was not good for Noval, but things turned around in 1993 when AXA bought it and put some money into the property.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Eric Menchen wrote:
Carlos Rodriguez wrote:At the moment nobody has vote for Quinta do Noval.
??????
I think the general impression is that the 70-80s was not good for Noval, but things turned around in 1993 when AXA bought it and put some money into the property.
Yeah, those years were not the best for Noval by any means. But before the sale to AXA, Cristiano van Zeller was already making improvements to the Quinta to get it back on track. And why it is so tragic that Cristiano was not there one year later when some impressive Ports again came from this magnificent Quinta.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Andy Velebil wrote:Yeah, those years were not the best for Noval by any means. But before the sale to AXA, Cristiano van Zeller was already making improvements to the Quinta to get it back on track. And why it is so tragic that Cristiano was not there one year later when some impressive Ports again came from this magnificent Quinta.
I was wondering about that, since AXA bought it in 1993. Something must have been in the works to turn out the 1994.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Today, we compared 1980 Dow and 1980 Sandeman. The Dow is talked about as being one best of vintage and not much talk at all on the Sandeman. Can’t recall the last time I had 1980 Dow, but I remembered as being excellent. The 1980 Sandeman, well I have had it in a magnum 2 or 3 times and put it in high regard.
Did not take notes today… Color was about the same, but Dow had some density to it. The Dow’s nose reminded me of Moxie and others thought cough medicine. It took a while for it to open up. The body was rich with ripe fruit and great integration. A touch hot, velvety smooth and still has a lot life.
1980 Sandeman had a more approachable nose. The body in was not as thick as the Dow. Elegant and also well integrated. Easy to drink and first bottle to be finished… A sleeper port of the Vintage that also has many years ahead.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

I think Sandeman was one of those houses that had some not so great bottles in the past couple of decades and so people tend not to discuss them much as a result. Recently I've had about a half dozen older Sandeman VP's that were just glorious. So it's a shame this producer isn't talked about more. They do make some very good products and I know they are working hard at improving their VP's.

Their Quinta do Sexio is open to the public, but don't be fooled, its a fully working Quinta. It's on the south side of the river just a few minutes from Pinhao. If you're ever in the Douro this is a place to surely visit. They have a massive lagar room where visitors can watch the goings on from an upper walkway during the harvest.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Carlos Rodriguez

Eric and Andy, thank's for your advise about Quinta do Noval (it has arrived a bit late...... I just ordered some 1991). Also, before 1980, which Quinta do Noval vintage (not Nacinal) will you recomend? I've seen this vintages: 1975, 1970, 1963, have got good prices.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Andy Velebil wrote:I think Sandeman was one of those houses that had some not so great bottles in the past couple of decades and so people tend not to discuss them much as a result. Recently I've had about a half dozen older Sandeman VP's that were just glorious.
It doesn't sound like they win the consistency award, but there might be some really good QPR bottles and a few outstanding ones. I'm kind of kicking myself for passing on a few.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Eric Menchen wrote: It doesn't sound like they win the consistency award, but there might be some really good QPR bottles and a few outstanding ones. I'm kind of kicking myself for passing on a few.
1927, 1935, and 1955 are good vintages of Sandeman are less expensive than the other brands yet are excellent ports and worth seeking out... Even the 1970 Sandeman is great.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Carlos Rodriguez wrote:Eric and Andy, thank's for your advise about Quinta do Noval (it has arrived a bit late...... I just ordered some 1991). Also, before 1980, which Quinta do Noval vintage (not Nacinal) will you recomend? I've seen this vintages: 1975, 1970, 1963, have got good prices.
Carlos,
Sorry about the delay, I've only had time to glance at the board and answer a couple questions as I'm in a training class all week, which also has homework I have to get done for it :( I've had the '63 and '70, but not the '75. Me personally, I'd avoid both and put that money toward something else. Both have been a bit lean and hot, and generally not some of their better "regular" Novals.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Carlos Rodriguez wrote: Also, before 1980, which Quinta do Noval vintage (not Nacinal) will you recomend? I've seen this vintages: 1975, 1970, 1963, have got good prices.
Had '63 Noval a few times and '70 once. Both are quite solid ports. I'd imagine the '75 to hot and lean as Andy mentioned, but at the right price I would still buy it.

I had a couple of Novals, one being a crusted from the 60's that were awful. It was due to storage most likely, so be sure that you are buying a proper stored bottle.
goncalo devesas

Post by goncalo devesas »

I´ll say 83 VP Niepoort ; 84 colheita Quinta da Romaneira and 85 colheita Dalva.
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

1980 Dow is fantastic and still needs far more time.
1985 Fonseca is a classic, great to drink now but will be so much better in time.
1987 Vargellas is the winner of the vintage for me, but Niepoort, Guimaraens, Malvedos and Cavadinha are also very good from this vintage.

What always puzzles me is how weak the Taylor's from the 80's are, with the notable exception of 1987 Vargellas.
But enough about me, what do YOU think of me? -- Johnny Bravo