1966 Barros Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

1966 Barros Vintage Port

Post by Andy Velebil »

Was doing some reorganizing at the house and I noticed this bottle has started to show some very slight signs of seepage...good thing it was already on Death Row. Decanted about 4 or so hours now...

Well you ever open something and it just don't look right? This looked more like a 10 year tawny than a 1966 VP, a nice golden ruby brown. Although there is some light floral notes on the nose, the nose is dominated by maple syrup and some spice. The palate is a cross between an old VP past its prime and a 10 year tawny Port. Soft and supple on the front this quickly overwhelms the palate with lots of maple, spices, and licorise. A bit of heat pops up on the back of the palate, but in a good way, as it tempers a large amount of acidity that hammers the tongue. A clipped finish is really its down fall, as even though it's more of a tawny at this point it's still an enjoyable drink. I've had a couple of bottles of this now and both have been past their prime. I'd recommend if you have some of these, drink them sometime soon. 86 points
08/10/09
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com