1964 Krohn White Colheita Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

1964 Krohn White Colheita Port

Post by Glenn E. »

I have (or had) 6 of these to open over the years as birthday Ports. They're all in excellent condition and were bottled in 2007. Sadly I didn't have the ability to take good notes this time around, but I did make a few mental notes. (Which is why they aren't good notes! :lol:)

1964 Krohn Colheita Branco

Color: Very rich golden tan, more toward gold than tan. Crystal clear as well, so very nice looking in the glass. Thick legs, too. Not quite as deep or rich in color as the 1952 Dalva, but I think that is to be expected.
Nose: Some notes of light honey and pear vodka. Some alcohol as well.
Palate: Quite full body - approaching cream in consistency, but still not what I'd call thick or syrupy. Some honey notes here, but with a more floral aspect that resembled honeysuckle. Faint raisins and light caramel. More of the pear vodka here too in the mid to late palate. Some faint tannins... but is that really even possible in a white colheita?
Finish: Not much of note other than poached pears and that same tannin-like feeling. Some california table grape skin near the end.

After opening I stuck the bottle in the refrigerator to try it chilled. I wasn't impressed at all - it was much better once the chilled glass warmed back up to around 65 degrees. I can see the appeal on a warm day, though, as it was much easier to drink (vs. sip) while chilled.

Tough to rate for me, as I think that this and the 1952 Dalva are the only white Colheitas that I've tried. This wasn't as rich or complex as the Dalva, but was quite good in its own right. I'm almost guessing, but I'll give it 92-93 points.
Glenn Elliott