1967 Taylor Fladgate Quinta de Vargellas Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

1967 Taylor Fladgate Quinta de Vargellas Vintage Port

Post by Glenn E. »

Another bottle from this weekend, so again no formal notes. Mostly what I remember is that it was really good and easily lasted (quality-wise) 3 days. This particular example was "late bottled" in Oporto in 1970 rather than the expected 1969.

1967 Quinta de Vargellas Vintage Port
Color: still fairly young looking, with plenty of red left.
Nose: I noticed some faint spice and black pepper, along with a good backbone of fruit. Not too much alcohol, though some was evident.
Palate: Yum! Plenty of life left here as the tannins are still decent. Nice mellow/ripe red fruits, though nothing in particular stood out to me. More of the black pepper and other faint spice, though not as much as I expected given the reputation of Taylor Fladgate. Something resembling chocolate, but darker and without the sweetness... possibly cocoa nibs?
Finish: Good length and pleasantly warming.

If this bottle is representative, then I think it could use another 10 years before reaching its peak. It's an excellent Port now, though: 94 points.
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: 1967 Quinta de Vargellas Vintage Port

Post by Roy Hersh »

There are two impressions that are derived from this particular wine and I've had several of both sorts. One is as mentioned and is a beautifully integrated young and delicious bottling. The other is a "hot" and really spirity version that I've had several bottles of, all coming from an impeccable ex-cellars source. The former are truly outstanding VPs while the lesser bottles have so much heat they are a bit tough to truly appreciate the fruit.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I wonder if the difference is between the 1969 and 1970 bottlings?
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

That I can't answer.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com