1985 Smith Woodhouse Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Moses Botbol

1985 Smith Woodhouse Vintage Port

Post by Moses Botbol »

This port could fool many into thinking it was from 1995 or newer. Was served via “pop and pour” with no decanting time. It’s quite dark, dense and viscous. It’s tannic and primary with the right amount of acid. The 1985 Smith Woodhouse is still a baby in a way that 1985 Dow is, yet they are quite polar styles.

1985 Smith Woodhouse is an impressive port with a lifetime of aging potential. Unless you love young port, I would not open for at least another 5-10 year just to check in on it. The power was so strong on this port; I did not even bother to discover what flavors are present.

This is an investment worth port that can compete with the best. This could be on the top 5 of the 1985 vintage, but scoring it would not be fair as I did not get to concentrate on this nor did it have any decanting time, but for sure it should be in the low 90’s.

Cheers to Smith Woodhouse on this vintage. [cheers.gif] :clap:
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Eric Menchen

Re: 1985 Smith Woodhouse Vintage

Post by Eric Menchen »

I love this one too, as does my wife. We ranked it BoF against 1985 Offley, Warre, and Dow.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Eric Menchen wrote:I love this one too, as does my wife. We ranked it BoF against 1985 Offley, Warre, and Dow.
I can see that being BoF in that group. The Offley and Warre are drinking better now, but may not be the ultimate port like SW or Dow. I can see many not picking the Dow as it is one of the drier vintages and may not appeal to every port drinker.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Well, I liked it better than the 1985 Fonseca and Graham's too, but dems fightin' words.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Eric Menchen wrote:Well, I liked it better than the 1985 Fonseca and Graham's too, but dems fightin' words.
put up your dukes mister. I've been [d_training.gif] for a fight :wink: :lol:

As Moses and Eric have pointed out, this is an excellent bottle and a sleeper of the vintage. just don't tell anyone, Shhh. :mrgreen:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Eric Menchen wrote:I love this one too, as does my wife. We ranked it BoF against 1985 Offley, Warre, and Dow.
I also had it BoF in that flight. And I apparently agree with Moses, too, because the closing statement from my TN says: "overall nicest, but not quite ready."

I might be willing to entertain the notion that it rates with the Fonseca, but the 1985 Graham is just out of this world when you get a good bottle. I don't think that the bottle we had at the gala showed particularly well, because while my notes indicate that it was "great now, only going to get better," I placed it just a hair behind the 1985 Burmester in its flight.
Glenn Elliott
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

I've since had some better 1985 Graham's, but it still doesn't excite me like it does other people. To each his own.