1994 Cockburn's Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

1994 Cockburn's Vintage Port

Post by Andy Velebil »

The color on this was a little light for a '94. The nose was so tight I had a hard time coxing anything out of it. The palate was intially very gritty followed by some heat and lots of acidity. Coming on those heels was lots of dusty drying tannins. The fruit was firmly closed down and it took lots of swirly to get some to show. Revisiting this at the end of the flight was a good thing as it opened up a lot. But there was some oxidation that showed on it. This wasn't a perfect bottle but still showed great promise. Although I felt it in the 94-95 point range for a perfect bottle, as this was still darn good if you got past a little oxidation. But no offical score given. 10/08/08
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: 1994 Cockburn's Vintage Port

Post by Roy Hersh »

This could have been a contender. It should have been and now I have to go and open one, just to reassure myself after that one.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Roy Hersh wrote:It should have been and now I have to go and open one, just to reassure myself after that one.
Do let me know what you find. This is very reasonably priced in the UK -- about $28.
-Dave-
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

I hope others have a better experience... I have a few of these and have little intention of opening them before the 20 year mark.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Roy Hersh wrote:This could have been a contender. It should have been and now I have to go and open one, just to reassure myself after that one.
Well?

Just picked up 5 magnums.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Moses Botbol wrote:
Roy Hersh wrote:This could have been a contender. It should have been and now I have to go and open one, just to reassure myself after that one.
Well?

Sorry Moses, haven't had another bottle since. So looks like you'll need to crack one of those mags and let us all know how it is.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Moses Botbol wrote:
Well?

Sorry Moses, haven't had another bottle since. So looks like you'll need to crack one of those mags and let us all know how it is.

Really in no rush to open the magnum’s, but would open one of the loose ’94 Cockburn I have somewhere.