1975 Taylor Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Tom Archer

1975 Taylor Vintage Port

Post by Tom Archer »

Bottle selected for being the one out of a dozen to have slight signs of seepage (but not recent) - level base of neck.

Decanted at 11.30 - came perfectly clean off it's sediment with virtually no waste (this was a bottle that I had originally planned to drink before I went on holiday, and had been stood up for four weeks)

Even as I decanted, the distinctive smell of violets was noticeable. Colour in the decanter is a very noble ruby.

Smelt the decanter for another fix of violets, but got a rather musty smell instead. Worry - is this bottle corked?

Poured a small sip to taste - bouquet is not encouraging, but taste is glorious - the violets are very noticeable.

Hope the mustiness is temporary!

More anon

Tom
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

An hour on..

Mustiness is vanishing, thankfully, and is being replaced by a more spiritous nose, but still a little earthy.

This is very reminiscent of the Dow and Delaforce '75's I've tried in recent months - a '75 trademark perhaps??
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Now a glass proper...

Time 7.20..

Colour a very even and attractive ruby, going very slightly to tawny at the edge, meniscus clear.

Violets less prominant on the bouquet, but spirit also gone. The cold earthiness of previous 75's is still noticeable.

On the palate the violets remain strong. Slightly hot but long finish.

This is light, but very acceptable. I have to remind myself that this is a vintage that many have written off.

For a dinner party this is a very usable port - serious port drinkers might take issue with the lightness of the wine, but 99% of dinner guests will be suitably impressed.

Unlike the '75 Dow and Delaforce I've tried before, this bottle does not present itself as past it's peak. Neither youthful nor superannuated, there seems no rush to consume the other 11 bottles :D

Tom
simon Lisle

Post by simon Lisle »

Tom if you get a chance try the Grahams 75 I was suitably impressed for a year that is written off by some.
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

I do have some Graham '75, so I might give it a go

Tom
Stuart Chatfield

Post by Stuart Chatfield »

Your notes are similar to mine, except I rate it even higher. I really rate this and I think it has at least a decade yet. It doesn't have the same depth and staying power, but I rate the 75 Taylor ahead of 70 for drinking now amd it is not that far behind the 77. It is a real bargain, I bought my last case for GBP20 per bottle, nearly a 1/3 of the price of the 70 or 77.

However, I do think that most other 75s are now on the wain.
Stuart Chatfield London, England
jon bricken
Location: ridgefield, Connecticut, United States of America - USA

Post by jon bricken »

I recently opened a "75 Sandman (notes posted) and using Roy's theory of long decanting, really enjoyed the port better the second day as it really came alive and showed well.

Based on that experience , I just purchased a Smith Woodhouse '75 and I am curious to see if my experience with the Sandman will carry over to the SW.

The '75 vintage is forgotten and very inexpensive when you can find it.
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Two days on, and decanter coming close to empty.

Still drinking very well - a touch tart compared to previous glasses, but finish is now better.

What next? Graham '75 perhaps, or Butler Nephew '70 (which cost exactly the same amount as this bottle) Then there's the Vargellas '78 or the Offley '83 or that bottle of Croft '55 which needs to be drunk or re-corked..

Decisions, decisions..

- Anyone know a good source of corks??

Tom
Stuart Chatfield

uncle tom wrote: - Anyone know a good source of corks??

Tom

A good subject that may need a separate thread. I have long since wondered where you can get good corks (and other paraphenalia like food grade wax etc.) to re-cork bottles. Or even someone who will do it for you? I doubt the corks from home-brew shops are good enough and I wouldn't risk them with my little babies :evil:

I found one company that makes the right wax but you had to buy about half a ton.

I have posed the question to Jancis and someone at BBR, but everyone has just said that no-one does it any more.

I have occasionally patched up leaky seals with a bit of candle wax (and re-cycled wax from other bottles) in the cracks, as a short-term solution when the bottle is to be drunk soon, but I'm sure I heard once that for long-term storage this is not good as there is some chemical in candle wax that is bad.

Anyone got any ideas? One day we might be preserving those legendary but troublesome 77s on a grand scale so might be worth thinking about now.
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

There is a company I used to deal with on the firework front called Suter's - I recall they sold every wax and resin you could think of - do you know which type of wax is used?

I am also very doubtful about the home brew corks - el cheapo, I think!

Is there anyone in Portugal who could get a bag of unbranded VP grade corks? I will be visiting late March and could collect.

Will pay of course - and share when I get home!

Tom
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Tom,

When you go to the Lodge's in Gaia, ask them if you could have a couple of dozen corks. Since they won't sell them to you, let them know that you'll buy some Port in their gift shop, to show your appreciation. I bet they'll come through for you if you explain why.

Stuart,

Your comment that you prefered the '75 Taylor to the 1970 for drinking now, absolutely blew me away. At first I thought "maybe it is his dry British wit?" but then realized you must have been serious. Can you please share what about the '75 is more enjoyable than the '70 today? I'd like to understand your meaning. I appologize if this in any way sounds offensive, I am not meaning to be derisive, I just want to follow your logic on this one. Thanks!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Stuart Chatfield

Roy Hersh wrote:
I appologize if this in any way sounds offensive, I am not meaning to be derisive
Don't worry you're a pussycat in that respect, relative to some others "in another place" as they say in our House of Commons.

I suppose what it is, is that regardless of potential and what I think something might be like in 10 years, nothing to me beats a great VP at its peak; that point where the downward slope of the softening tannins meets the upward slope of that ethereal quality produced by the ageing fruit. To me '75 Taylors has just hit that point now, and I've drunk about 6 bottles of it over the last year and enjoyed every one. To me the '70 is still a little stodgy and has that cloying factor associated with ports that are too young.

That said, I've not got a great ability to taste for the future and hence I rely on notes of more able tasters like you and MB etc. :wink: No doubt the 70 will come round and the 75 will fade and in 10 years I'll give the 70 95+ points.

However, along with my poor predicting ability I do have the good ability to resist auto-suggestion and often come away from tastings with my pre-conceptions dashed, and admitting so. Taylor's is my favourite, generally - my favourite 63, 75, 77 (joint with SW) and 85. I WANT to love the 70 but have always preferred other surrounding years for Taylor and other ports for that year (Warre and Fonseca).

A final caveat is that most of the T 70 I've had over the last couple of years has come from one bottler - The Wine Society. I bought it direct from them, with perfect provenance, from the site where it has lain since arrival. Whereas my 75 came from a large parcel I bought at auction of unknown provenance except that is was from a private cellar. Maybe that's it :lol: :lol: :lol: In return for your derision, I return a bit about your view on auctions and provenance!

Seriously, I'll try another bottling if I can get one and will report back with egg on my face later in the year.
Stuart Chatfield

uncle tom wrote:do you know which type of wax is used?

I read that any food-grade sealing wax is OK. I don't think there is a special type for wine. I searched everywhere a few years ago. I found some US suppliers that sold some sort of food grade wax for good old US moms to seal their pickle jars I think. I found a UK one, but as said you had to buy loads.

Let's investigate and share the spoils - I'll look again and if I get lucky will start another thread to see if anyone wants to share the bulk buy. Maybe you can do the same with the corks.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

My grandmother used to make her own jam and seal the bottles with parafin wax by pouring a thick layer of the wax over the top of the jam once it set and became firm. Then she put the lid on the jar as a "second" seal. It was a watery milk color and was available in almost every store about 10-15 years ago. I have not looked for it in a while and I can't remember who produced it here in the states.

I have found a web site that has food grade paraffin wax. here is the link

http://www.dpswax.com/Merchant2/merchan ... y_Code=PAR

It looks like the smallest amount is 10 pounds (4.5 kilos), for $13.00 US. Not sure if they will ship to the UK, but maybe worth a try since they sell it in small quantity.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Stuart Chatfield

That looks the thing - I've also found this lot that weren't on the web when I last looked:

http://www.britishwax.com/products.htm

I've asked them for details.
Jennifer Hart

Post by Jennifer Hart »

For jam, I have always used Parowax - it is sold in grocery stores in the USA -- it does the same thing as paraffin wax, you melt it down and then when it is cooled it becomes a milky color -- however, it is sold in a lot less than 10lb packages.