First Colheita recommandation - Offley 1980 ?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Alexis

First Colheita recommandation - Offley 1980 ?

Post by Alexis »

Hi all,
First post here, directly from Sherbrooke (Canada). I've been reading FTLOP forums / newsletters for almost a week now, what a great place to learn about port, congratulations!

I saw this bottle on sale at my SAQ outlet :
Offley Baron de Forrester tawny colheita 1980 (bottled in 2003) @ ~45$ CAD.

I never tasted colheitas before. Would this be a "safe" guess ? Would it be a good idea to taste it, and if I like, buy a few to put aside for a few years to let them age a little ?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Alexis
Mario Ferreira

Post by Mario Ferreira »

Alexis - welcome to the FTLOP Forum.

If you plan to put aside some Ports my suggestion is you should look for Vintage Ports.

Vintage Port is the only Port Wine that matures in the bottle. All other types of Ports are wood matured and once bottled should not be kept many years inside the bottle. [Some exceptions apply for Traditional or Unfiltered LBVs - Late Bottled Vintages].

Colheita is a Tawny Port Wine from one single harvest. The wine has matured in cask and, besides the year of the harvest, one should also be able to read on the label the year of the bottling.
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Bonjour Alexis!

A few friends of mine with good palate already tried this product and recommended it to me. Trusting them, I'd not hesitate to pass the recommendation. I also see that the price took a good drop from its original release. Also knowing that the Colheita choices at the SAQ is not very attractive, this is one of the good bottles that we can now find.

Welcome to the world of Port, hope you enjoy every sip!

N'hésite pas à me contacter si tu as besoin de conseils sur les produits à la SAQ!
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Alexis

Post by Alexis »

Thanx Mario for the clarifications, I appreciate it !

Hey Fred! I will grab one this week and taste it later in march, I'll let everyone know how it went.